• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR5, Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

It's coming to that time for a new build.

The only real sticking point for me is RAM. Is it worth it to go ddr5?

The build at this point looks like.....

I7 13700K
MSI Tomahawk
4080 (when released)

Thoughts?

Reviews say a couple/few percent here or there... is that worth it? I always say get the best you can/want to afford.

Have there been any chipset issues with the ddr5 variants of boards?

Is this really just a money issue at this point and ddr5 is mature enough to have gone through it's teething stage?

Have there been any chipset issues with the ddr5 variants of boards?

Is this really just a money issue at this point and ddr5 is mature enough to have gone through it's teething stage?
I mean, like DDR4 and DDR3 before it, time goes on and speed goes up as timings go down. It's on the early part of the curve, but, I'd rather be on it, than behind it. But you can only do what you can/want to do. :)

I mean, like DDR4 and DDR3 before it, time goes on and speed goes up as timings go down. It's on the early part of the curve, but, I'd rather be on it, than behind it. But you can only do what you can/want to do. :)
My only issue is that current DDR5 boards will probably not support fast DDR5 sticks one or two years from now. This is based on history: Z68 had trouble with DDR3 2133+ and Z170 trouble with DDR4 3600+. So people who plan on really enjoying the speeds of DDR5 will end up replacing the board anyway.

My only issue is that current DDR5 boards will probably not support fast DDR5 sticks one or two years from now. This is based on history: Z68 had trouble with DDR3 2133+ and Z170 trouble with DDR4 3600+. So people who plan on really enjoying the speeds of DDR5 will end up replacing the board anyway.
There's always something better around the corner. But if you're ready to buy............it is what it is. ;)

Current z790 lists above 7k amd we've seen 8k mem on this platform with current cpus.

OK... looks like I'm going ddr5

Valid point.
I don't really see that being an issue for me, I have the same RAM my my pc that I put in back in 2012. :p

Reviews say a couple/few percent here or there... is that worth it? I always say get the best you can/want to afford.

It's a fair take. I just built my boys a machine but decided to go 5800X3D and 32GB of DDR4-3600 which I imagine will last for quite some time, especially for their uses.

If you buy 13th gen CPU and want faster DDR5 then get Z790 mobo. I see many people get Z690 on sale and later have problems with RAM or that the motherboard doesn't even boot with 13th gen CPUs without a new BIOS (they all come with the initial BIOS or any early one that doesn't support 13th gen). If you have a high series Z690 mobo then you can flash it without problems. If you have lower series then it won't work without a 12th gen CPU.

Most Z790 mobos officially support DDR5-7200/7600 out of the box. Higher series up to 8000+. However, I haven't seen any significant difference between DDR5-6000 and anything above. Between DDR5-4800 and DDR5-6000 is sometimes up to 5% difference, usually still 0-1%. It suggests that the RAM is fast enough.
In stores you can already find DDR5-7600 kits from brands like G.Skill, but hard to say if it's a good idea, even if it's a build for longer years.

I am planning on Z790. At this time there are no Tomahawk Z790 boards to be had in Canada.

This build is most likely slated for the new year. By that time I am hoping there will be availability of the board and 4080 cards.

Back