• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De-lidding an i7-9700k---is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

So I just got an i7-9700k, and right out of the box it overclocked to 5.1ghz with Gigabytes automatic overclock settings. These CPUs apparently have the "lid" soldered on. Do you think its worth it to de-lid and see if I can get a higher overclock out of it, or is it too much of a risk since its soldered?

Its soldered... so not worth it for the meager gains.

You say you are on auto... what voltage is it hitting with all cores at 5.1 ghz? Perhaps you can lower it a bit as auto tends to overvolt in favor of stability.

Last edited:
The IHS is soldered and even if you delid it then expected improvement isn't worth losing the warranty. Improvement will be about 5°C as long as you use liquid metal and perfectly install the IHS.

As ED said, check the voltage as at auto it usually goes past 1.4-1.45V and it's way too high for 5.1GHz and the CPU will overheat and throttle (lower voltage and clock).
Typical seems ~1.28-1.32V at 5GHz and ~1.35-1.37V at 5.1GHz. A lot depends on the CPU itself and used cooling.

The voltages were at 1.365, but not sure if that all cores or just 1...I'll try to figure that out and post back. Thanks for the input.

Back