• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

De-lidding=Magic???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Diddy

So, as I'm pretty new to the Core i5-7's and overclocking, I thought things would be roughly the same as my old Q6600. Boy was I wrong. Built my new system, and re-installed my TRU-120X on my i7-4770k and thought I was getting great temps. Idle was around 29-30C. Then I started overclocking.

Good Lord. I don't know what the hell Intel did, but as soon as I applied a small overclock, went to 4.2 Ghz, everything else stock, I noticed that my idle temps were still fine, but as soon as I started Priming, using Small FFT's, the temps shot up over 100 C easy. Scared the hell out of me actually. It was then I realized the voltage was still running at it's stock 1.325 VCore. So, I turned down the voltage to 1.175 and started running a blend Prime. PC was stable for about 3 hours, but then crashed. Ok. Upped the volts to 1.185 and this time, was stable for over 4 (which is my normal amount to go by). Only, temps were still reaching up into the 90's, topping out at 95 C on two cores. It was then I decided to look into the whole de-lidding thing.

Did my research, ordered some CLP and also so PK-3, as the AS-5 I had was a little old and then got to work. Used the vice method to remove the heat spreader. Easy peasy. Cleaned everything up, applied a small layer of CLP on the die, and then a rice size dab of PK-3 on the IHS, and then re-installed my TRUE-120X. Good God! I'll let the pic speak for its' self, but this is after 2 hours of running P95 Blend with the same settings as before:

Capture.PNG

That's the highest it got. Normally, after 15-20 minutes, I was already up in the high 80's, almost touching 90 C. Now, it's not really going above 65 C. Just peaking higher hear or there. That's incredible! It's an honest to goodness 30 C degree drop. I was expecting a little improvement, but not THAT much. This pretty much answers the question in my other thread of the TRUE-120X still being a good cooler.

Anyone having temp issues with your Haswell, I HIGHLY suggest de-lidding it. It took me all of an hour or so to do, and it's a was well worth the trouble.

Good effort! It's sad that Intel designs their chips so badly that users have to modify the chip just to get decent temperatures when overclocked, especially since you paid extra for the priviledge of a K series chip.

Back