• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead GPU, What to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4od

Playing CS:S with full settings and 1600x1200 on my 7900 GS (not OC'd, on water) and the game just freezes with sound in loop so I restart my computer, and put the settings back to default (full everything except for AA and Anisotropic, which are both on medium) and check my temps. Everest says that the core was 55, so i started playing again. In 10 minutes, the computer crashes again, and when i try to restart it, i get no display. I tried using the other DVI output, i tried taking everything off the PSU except mobo/cpu/gpu, no luck.

I e-mailed XFX tech support, but haven't gotten a response yet.

What should i do?

what power supply do you have...if its a bad/cheap one then it could be the culpret

I think that card has a "cold" bug. If you run it under a certain temp, then your system will freeze up and or crash.

So if it has the cold bug, you should use stock cooler instead of water cooling.

4od said:
http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-pitbull-450b-modular.html

Just checked it with a multimeter; the rails are 11.81v and 11.89v, too low?

UglyChild; It was running between 50-60 degrees most of the time i had it, so im not sure thats the problem.
I have 1x120mm radiator taking care of my OC'd C2D as well as my VGA, so water temps are rarely below 35c

7900 GS's are not power hungry monsters and your 12V rail voltage is fine. ATX2 spec allows up to +/- 5%
from nominal. What make/ model is the PS though as rail voltage isn't everything

If I am reading this right it sounds like the card was working okay initially, then started to have problems
over time until it up and died.

Viper

Just checked my mobo LED codes because i wasnt getting any beep codes, and apperently i have a memory problem, not a video one. I tried each stick alone, same thing. Im gunna see if i find some DDR2 to borrow to check if thats the problem.

It still seems odd to me, because i had artifacts before the crash.

Back