• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead hard drive..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You stated you originally were checking connections on your system's CD drive.

Did you swap pwr & data connectors on the prob HDD?

Is it possible you accidently tried to plug in a Molex or data connector reversed, even if for only a moment, and even if it didn't fully seat?

If you did any of the above (especially the 4P pwr Molex), & considering the drive appears to be completely dead, & also kills a test sytem when inserted into it as a slave drive, you might have somehow killed some circuitry on the dead HDD's circuit board. Take a look on the bottom of you bad HDD, and see if it has an exposed circuit board (many do), & look for any burn marks or discoloration. My WD drives have exposed boards, but some drives have a removable bottom cover plate. Be careful, 'cuz you only want to remove the (bottom) circuit board cover plate, not the (top) plate sealing the platter(s) & head mechanism(s).

If you're really desperate to get files off the dead drive, you may be able to replace the circuit board on the dead HDD. You must replace it w/a board from the exact same model HDD.

IOW, you can buy (or borrow) the exact same HDD, remove the circuit board, replace the dead HDD's circuit board with the new one, get your data off the old HDD, then put the new board back in the new HDD, & discard the old HDD, since you've now got your data.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. :rolleyes:

Strat

thanks for the advice, I'm going to try to burn knoppix both to toy with it and to see if I can get some data off of it;
Thanks for the advice about swapping the circuit board, but all I really had was everday files like music, movies, bookmarks, stuff like that, nothing that I cant reinstall and such. I'm about to buy some parts online so I believe I'm just going to get a new hard drive, thanks for all the constant help and replies guys

Back