• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deadend in looking for cpu cooler! Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
Lian Li 351 case (11.5cm height limit) and asus rampage iv gene motherboard (center of the cpu area to first pci slot= 7cm).

I don't want to use liquid solutions, because i will have to modify the case since there is no extra space for fans (3 pre-installed in the case).

So the only thing i found that DOES support 130w cpu (i7 3820), was the Noctua Nh--L12. I was sure this was the solution, untill i saw that it would block the gpu in the first pci slot. I still have not understood if that cooler can be installed in a sideways way. Anyone knows?

The other solutions i have are the Suriken Big 2 Rev B, i found the dimensions, of the non-lga2011 part (the original Surikhen Big 2) and i see that if i use 3cm tall ram in quad then the cooler will be just a couple of milimetres away from the gpu. So i can't be 100% sure for the size and compatibility. Besides that, i see written that it is not recommended for above 100w cpus.
And then the other solution is the Intel Thermal solution, the simple lga 2011 cpu fan.

Am I in a dead end or what?

i know you said you didnt want water but it might be your best option there are a few sealed units that would fit your case from corsair and intel,just look at the single fan units.
tho i will say my 3820 runs really cool even overclocked so the intel fan will probably be fine if you dont plan on overclocking to much.

The biggest benefit of the sealed liquid units is that they can fit in tight spaces where traditional heatsinks can't...a H80 would do you very well. It's not going to hurt anything if you replace a top or back fan with the radiator.

Get a case with more headroom in the processor area. With the cpu power you want to run there (130 watt TDP proc), you would be much better off with a case with more headroom over the processor area. That case would be much better suited for an 1155 board and lower wattage processor, sorry to say. There just aren't too many choices around for a low profile LGA2011 cooler, much less that will allow you to overclock. Unless you can figure a way to get the Noctua to work, I think you are pretty much out of luck. I just checked both Thermalright's site and Prolimatech's site and neither of their low profile heatsinks have had adapters for LGA2011 made for them yet. :(

^^

I agree :thup:

I tried running a big computer in a small case, while it may work ok in the winter if you dont push for too hard and long.. the truth of the matter is the components love to breathe when you give them the space :salute:

i know you said you didnt want water but it might be your best option there are a few sealed units that would fit your case from corsair and intel,just look at the single fan units.
tho i will say my 3820 runs really cool even overclocked so the intel fan will probably be fine if you dont plan on overclocking to much.

Are you using the intel air cooling solution then, without problems or not? I didn't understand.
We re talking about this one:
36809637.jpg

It is made for the LGA2011 so i suppose the TDP will be adequate?

How would the single fan units fit my case (without modification) since there is no space made for extra fans?

The biggest benefit of the sealed liquid units is that they can fit in tight spaces where traditional heatsinks can't...a H80 would do you very well. It's not going to hurt anything if you replace a top or back fan with the radiator.

Sure its going to hurt me, firstly there is no top fan, there are two 120 front fans and one back for the hdds/ssds, all preinstalled.

Get a case with more headroom in the processor area. With the cpu power you want to run there (130 watt TDP proc), you would be much better off with a case with more headroom over the processor area. That case would be much better suited for an 1155 board and lower wattage processor, sorry to say. There just aren't too many choices around for a low profile LGA2011 cooler, much less that will allow you to overclock. Unless you can figure a way to get the Noctua to work, I think you are pretty much out of luck. I just checked both Thermalright's site and Prolimatech's site and neither of their low profile heatsinks have had adapters for LGA2011 made for them yet. :(

If i wanted to "get a new case" i would ask about getting a new case, i m not changing my case or any other component. I m looking for info based on what i have, not what you have in mind, i dont want to hear "throw away that, get that", its not going to happen.

^^

I agree :thup:

I tried running a big computer in a small case, while it may work ok in the winter if you dont push for too hard and long.. the truth of the matter is the components love to breathe when you give them the space :salute:

The two massive 120 fans that cover all the way to the back constantly sending air, although i have not tested the system yet (missing gpu, cpu fan, ram) i think are good breathing more or less.

The Intel cooler is plenty fine if you're not planning on overclocking.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace one of the front fans with the H80 radiator. That's a SFF system, the tubing should reach. All the numbers are available online to make sure. Removing the fan is typically only a matter of four screws.

The Intel cooler is plenty fine if you're not planning on overclocking.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace one of the front fans with the H80 radiator. That's a SFF system, the tubing should reach. All the numbers are available online to make sure. Removing the fan is typically only a matter of four screws.

The reason you don't take into account is simply that it is a uniformed "wall" or air the two 120 fans will produce from the front to the back of the case. This is a symmetrical constant flow that i think will positively affect all components once i have the system up and running and i don't want to spoil it. If i understand correctly, the only way to put liquid cooling since i don't want to remove any front fan is to place it outside of the case and i don't want to spoil the case that way (yet).

I think you're putting a little too much importance into the airflow than needed. A 120mm intake and exhaust is typically enough airflow for a mid tower, and this holds a lot less volume. The case is probably cycling all the air in the case several times every minute or two with only a single intake and exhaust. Also, it's typically recommended that you set up the H80 as an intake, so it's still providing (slightly hotter) air into the case.

The only three things that you really need to worry about heat on are the MOSFETs on the motherboard (black squares under the heatsinks around the CPU) and the GPU. The H80 on intake in that small of a case might result in a 5C increase on GPU temperatures idle and load. MOSFET temps heavily depend on how far you overvolt.

I was referring to an aftermarket cooler fitting that case. I think you are stuck using the stock cooler with it, that's all. It should fit the oem cooler just fine.

Good luck with it. That cases overclocking potential is exactly zero, but it should do ok enough for stock speeds (hopefully). Nice looking case, but IMO, not designed for a high end processor.

I was referring to an aftermarket cooler fitting that case. I think you are stuck using the stock cooler with it, that's all. It should fit the oem cooler just fine.

Good luck with it. That cases overclocking potential is exactly zero, but it should do ok enough for stock speeds (hopefully). Nice looking case, but IMO, not designed for a high end processor.

There is no stock cooler for the i7 3820.

The case can probably overclock just fine with liquid cooling, i just don't feel like doing modifications and paying for all that at this time.

no sorry for the confusion 8009.i am using a cool master v8 cooler way to big for your case.

There is no stock cooler for the i7 3820.

That cooler you linked a picture of is the "stock" cooler for the i7-3820, Intel just decided that they were going to sell it separately now because:

1. Half of us chuck it anyway.
2. They make more money off it.

Back