• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dealing with Daughter's computer ventures on Xp, what can I do...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snapmando

Hi,

I'm dealing with some problems that have come about, with my oldest daughters computer usage. I'm a hair short of cancelling internet usage. I realize that, she can continue using the computer at her friends to get around stricter standards at home. But I need some help.....

What can I do to limit or terminate, usage of Internet Explorer and Msn Messenger on her user account on Xp, without effecting others users of the computer. I'm looking into Msn 9 right now, I've seen it's features and operation and I'm very pleased as a parent to see it's effectiveness. I realize no program is totally secure. I've been too easy going for too long, and my trust is now gone. The problem has started with her bonding, with the wrong crowd at school. She stays in communication with this crowd by using Messenger, they do not stay in contact over the phone.

Is there anyway to do this on Xp Home, without disturbing others that use the computer?

I don't want to totally shut her down, but I will, if I see the need to...

I realize that the computer habit's are not the only problem here, but I gotta start somewhere....

The next step, the Police..

Any Ideas?

Thanks all
Snapmando

The next step, the Police..

Having a teenage daughter myself, I will tell you that if it was me and it was bad enough to involve the police, then I would take that computer away from her NOW. Good Luck

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

if the computer is running off a router, you could maybe block the port that messenger uses, or set it so after say 9PM she won't be able to use it

easiest solution would be to get rid of messenger

That's exactly what I was going to get at. Your router will come with software that can block transmissions to certain computers by their signatures at certain times.

However this won't solve the problem. Either you take away her computer, or you make her use the one that you use, so that you can monitor it via keyloggers, or simple watch.

She is using the family computer. It's connect to the net by a cable connection, no router.

Set her up as a user not an ADMIN. Then logon useing your account and remove any icons and refernces to IE and MSN on her start menue and desk top. Or you could do the same thing with tweak UI form MS's web site. Look under downloads for Windows that is how I keep my 10 year old out of things he does not need right now.

you could download a free firewall program like zone alarm and block ports.

and speaking as someone just exiting his teenage years, you're doing the right thing.

I would avoid keyloggers myself, but I'm not a parent. I think that unless my child had totally violated my trust I would not use such an invasive "spy" type of mechanism. I think if I heard about that it would further alienate me from my family and make me try to find another route to communicate with the bad crowd. My $0.02.

I'd probably wait for the next infraction and use the disabling of those darn messenger programs as a consequence. I'd probably use the route discussed above to remove her admin access to the computer. If you want to go further, it's pretty easy to set a password in your motherboard's BIOS so that only people who know the password (or know how to unplug the battery on the motherboard) can get the computer to boot.

My wife used a keylogger already, and has been checking her Msn Messenger chats. The password on the Bios? Great Idea..... That totally slipped my mind... She doesn't have Admin access. Messenger was allowed by us, for her to talk to her friend that moved away a year ago.

All you Ideas have been a great help......

Thank-you to everyone, for you imput..
Snapmando

Karbon said:
aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

if the computer is running off a router, you could maybe block the port that messenger uses, or set it so after say 9PM she won't be able to use it

easiest solution would be to get rid of messenger

does this work on any router? cause i typed the address in your address bar into mine and i get a page cannot be displayed. i have a netgear router.

stan03 said:
does this work on any router? cause i typed the address in your address bar into mine and i get a page cannot be displayed. i have a netgear router.

Works on just about every router, however the address you need to use varies. The ones I have use 192.168.1.12 and another uses 192.168.0.1 . Check out your router manual or netgear's website to find out how to access the set up page for your specific router. Good luck!

Matt

stan03 said:

your router probably has a similar option, but not the exact same address. Try going to 192.168.0.1 in a web browser. It should ask for username and password, and you can go from there.

All netgear routers have a default address of 192.168.0.1

Even if the router displays its address at 192.168.0.2

Default user is Admin
Password: password (I feel safe now :) )

I have a netgear, and I just changed my passwords, and channels today

Back