• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old hardware, and what to do with it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

I continue to stumble on old hardware, and some of it I'm not sure how good it is or if it's usable at all or what to use it for if it is usable.
I figured we could start a thread with old hardware people have or find and want advice on.
Aside from my questions, please feel free to post up any old hardware you have that you're looking for advice on what to do with!

To kick it off, here's some CPU's I've dug up in the last couple weeks:
1) E2160
2) G2020
3) Athlon 64 X2 5000+

My questions:
What would you rank them, from 1-3 (1 being best, 3 being worst), for gaming usage?
Or are none of them good enough to even try and build a rig around?
I'm either going to try and put together an ultra-budget build to get someone in to PC's (built solely of parts I have laying around), or if their not worth gaming on at all then I'll probably pick the best one and build an emulation machine to play old school games on.
I wish I would have kept some of my more current gear, but I sold most of it when I build my gaming rig I have now. I'm just wondering if any of the old stuff I've unboxed lately is even worth tinkering with at this point.

G2020, e2160, 5000+

G2020 is a dual core ivybridge...still, dual cores choke many modern games...

dated hardware has plenty of uses, websurfing rig for aunt erma, an htpc, test rig for software downloaded from a dubious site.

I could certainly use the 5000+ in my benching rig. PM me if you interested in selling. Otherwise maybe for a retro gamer. I can't see any of those playing any modern titles.

What caddi and others have said...surfenbox, htpc...could even use any of those chips to build a server or miner.

most of the old stuff i have/had depending on their age will be made in a working system and be given away to friends&family, if no one interested it will be sold/given away or turned in a retro rig.
since i usually only buy "high end" gear most stuff is classified as 1.

i generally sell off my old gear as whole units so i have zero core components other than a 580gpu that doesnt like to be stressed so its useless. altho i do have boxes and boxes full of old fans, cd/dvd drives, psus and i just tossed out a box full of old ide cables. thats about it for me sadly.

Back