• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dear god no... anyone seen this before?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fighter2a

Alright this is the situation. My friend who doesn't know crap about computers but likes to play games with me came over to my house with his computer and said it stopped working. The reason I'm posting this in the AMD forum you'll see soon. It would blue screen before it got to windows so first I tried to reinstall windows but it would blue screen every time I tried. I then switched out the video card / ram / hard drive for ones from a working computer with no luck. So I was thinking it was the motherboard or the AMD 2000+ chip. Well, we switched the motherboard with his older one that worked when he used to use it and it did the same thing so we thought it was the AMD cpu. So we took the CPU out of his machine and put it into my old computer which had an 1800+ in it. It booted up with no problem so we were like "wtf?" . This is where it gets wierd. I took it out and put my original 1800+ back in and then my computer started blue screening just like his! I couldn't believe it. It's like his cpu kills motherboards. Anyone seen anything like this? We're taking it to a computer repair center tomarrow to see what happens.

See if you turn off reboot after BSOD. you and us can tell what error you are getting and thus we can tell what the error is.

Although, its weird that is works other than when windows boots. Tried another OS, maybe one older just to test?

I've seen this (well not exactly, not with CPUs, anyway) before, and every time, I was missing something. User error. Take everything apart and put it back together again. Could have done somthing (like pulled a plug) to something completely unrelated to the CPU, so check EVERYTHING.

Did you check bios information prior to trying to boot into windows? Also did the BSOD come with an error message? (Like memory dump). Also did you clear CMOS to revert everything back to defaults settings.

Last edited:
Yes I went into bios and reset everything. I can't get the bsod to appear long enough to even see what it says. Just that it's blue and there is text on the screen.

Fighter2a said:
Yes I went into bios and reset everything. I can't get the bsod to appear long enough to even see what it says. Just that it's blue and there is text on the screen.

get a digital camera and take a shot of the BSOD...

can you get into safe mode? Theres a check box you have to turn off to read the BSODs: right click My Computer, properties, Advanced tab, settings button under Startup and recovery, uncheck automatically restart.

I can't start the computer up at all to do that. Once I get the blue screen it just restarts and continues in a loop of death. I'll see what happens tomarrow when my friend gets his pc back from the computer repair place.

I decided to turn it on and take another look at the bios but the phone rang so I didn't press the delete key in time.....windows started up. What a waste of so much time. Someone hates me.

VERY first thing I would have done is check the HS....very likely its a heat problem, or mabe even PSU one.

I've seen this time and time again with XP cpu's... I've built nearly 150 XP2400 systems, I have had what you describe happen to about 5 systems... swapped every component, turned out to be bunk CPU's. Sometimes, If you disable the L2 cache in the bios, it will run fine, meaning it wont crash but it is SLOW. Most likely bad cpu(s).

Speaking of possesed computers.. My friends computer would turn on in the middle of the night everynight and the speakers would give off crazy high pitch sounds. When it turned on it, nothing showed up on the screen, just the power light and fans would just be on. He ended up just unplugging it every night. It only did it during the night tho, never during the day. It was a stock HP except for a 64MB stick I put in it for him. He ended up just buying a new computer.

kind of on a tangent here, but i did have an alarm clock that would go off whenever i got near, but never when i was away (alarm never turns off once it starts, so i know)

the stranger thing is that sometimes,i would feel this twinge in my neck, like somethings going to happen, and the alarm would go off

weird stuff...maybe its the magic smoke :p

That is just weird. In my other friends bedroom, if you dont have shoes on and you touch your computer case, you'll feel this weird "sticky" feeling. It's hard to pull your hand across the case and it feels like theres a low current running through it. Everything in his room that's plugged in will either shock you or feel weird if you touch it without shoes on.

jjv687 said:
That is just weird. In my other friends bedroom, if you dont have shoes on and you touch your computer case, you'll feel this weird "sticky" feeling. It's hard to pull your hand across the case and it feels like theres a low current running through it. Everything in his room that's plugged in will either shock you or feel weird if you touch it without shoes on.

Sounds to me like a grounding issue with the wiring in that room. If I were him, I would have that check IMMEDIATELY!

-Fb

Back