• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent CPU Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

Ok guys, this is something I haven't had to deal with for YEARS! I need a decent CPU cooler for an i7 920. I'm breaking down the water cooling setup in my sig and going back to air. I haven't cooled with air for a long time so I have no idea what would be a good buy. There really doesn't seem to be much on the market now for S1366. I plan on running stock so I wouldn't need anything crazy but I can't really find much of anything online.

Silver Arrow. And remove the coxcombs from your Dominators.

D14, SA, Phanteks are the best cpu heatsinks. Of those, SA is the least expensive and the only one with PWM fans. PWM fans allow them to run slowly/quietly when the cpu is idling. Also, those TY-140's are the very best 140mm fans made. Getting two of them is nice.

Silver Arrow. And remove the coxcombs from your Dominators.

D14, SA, Phanteks are the best cpu heatsinks. Of those, SA is the least expensive and the only one with PWM fans. PWM fans allow them to run slowly/quietly when the cpu is idling. Also, those TY-140's are the very best 140mm fans made. Getting two of them is nice.

Thanks for the reply! :thup: That Phanteks is a beast!! I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Phanteks PH-TC14PE. I found it for $20.00 more than the SA but I think it's worth the extra few bucks. Thanks again......

dylskee, if you are planning to run at stock speeds, you don't need to spend more than around $30 or less. That will easily handle your 920 at 4 GHz, and no problem at all at stock speeds. Why pay more for high end if you don't plan to push the old baby significantly? Another great choice would be the Thermalright True Spirit 120 for $30 plus shipping.

dylskee, if you are planning to run at stock speeds, you don't need to spend more than around $30 or less. That will easily handle your 920 at 4 GHz, and no problem at all at stock speeds. Why pay more for high end if you don't plan to push the old baby significantly? Another great choice would be the Thermalright True Spirit 120 for $30 plus shipping.

Hey Mudd,

I see your point but I know myself and I probably won't run stock for very long! :D
I haven't purchased anything yet but your option seems a lot better. The past year or so I haven't done much with this computer, occasional gaming and some CadCam work. I haven't benched in a long time and since my last reformat I've been running stock. One more reason for changing from H2O to air is the cost of a simple upgrade of video cards! The cost of the cards and then the water blocks just isn't worth it for me anymore. Thanks for the input and the link, always greatly appreciated! :salute:

Back