• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decision: 651 Cedar Mill or 920 Presler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
Alright - I need a CPU that will hold me over as a solid overclocker with good potential on air cooling for the time being until Conroe is released.

so I've taken my decision down to two processors:

Pentium 4 651 Cedar Mill

or

Pentium D 920 Presler

I can get either brand new one for about $240 shipped

please post your suggestion, and WHY you suggested it

Thanks
-Justin

lollzzz
presler 920, and i wouldnt think twice
mine does 4.4ghz daily..broke 9k in pcmark04 too

why ya goin for a low end chip ya rich *******? lol

i aint rich boy! i just had a processor that ran me a grand die mysteriously, so i'm kinda poor right now...

and i'm not gonna spend another grand on a processor just to last me the summer, so *shrug*

and as far as OCing goes, i know what the presler gets (seen all too many results, three friends have them and i've played with them a bit), and all the 651 results i've seen, they can do 5ghz on air/water without probs, and also run 4.8 daily with LOW voltage

920 if your temps are fine. If you're in a situation like me, get a CedarMill. Ive been running 4800mhz. Dual core seems like more of an advantage than raw clock speeds though. 920.

The 920 is going to be a hell of a deal once the price drop happens ($209). I think I am going to pick one up (once I get a new video card) to hold me over until the beginning of next year. By that time I figure all the mobos will be out and all of tweaking will have been figured out so I don't have to make it up as I go. Not to mention I will have a big fat tax return to make my mobo/cpu purchase with.

Sorry about your 955 man. I know how it sucks to loose a good chip.
The 920 will have a snappier feel to just about anything you do.
If you get a good one, 4.6-4.8 GHz is possible, a bad one and 4.0 is the limit.

unanimous 920 votes... pulled the trigger on a 920 presler from egg just about a minute ago with overnight shipping and rush processing (whats a few extra bucks, eh?)

now time go go fzuck with this celeron and get some crazy OC's with this POS

Oh man, you should have gotten the 651!

J/K, LOL. Smart choice. Voting remains unanimous Unless you plan to run nothing except SPi between now and Conroe, 920 will blow it away in everything else at a lot fewer clocks. Couldn't wait one more week, eh? I know the feeling :) Wish you luck on getting a good one! Let us know what stepping it is when you get it...C1s should be popping up soon. OEMs have them already AFAIK, so maybe they're working into the retail market by now. Good luck with it!

if i get a crappy one i can probably trade it to one of my friends who only run their 920's at stock

If you can cool it properly then the 920, which is about the only shortfall to the chip over the ceder mill. The ceder mill will give you better overclocks without a doubt however what is clock speed without power to back it up? My buck is on the 920.

Back