• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please post Cedar Mill Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I was wondering if you could post some info here for me. I'm running a 651 Cedar Mill (Thanks to Epox4life) on water and my load temps seem a little high. I had a 661 until it died about a month ago and my temps would really sky on load. My ambient temperature is around 22°c, idle temps were 25°c and load would hit 55°c with 1.4375v. This was my first chip with my water cooling setup so i figured the temps were normal but after the 661 died i was trying to figure out why and some people said my load temps were too high for H2O. Some also suggested an improper water block installation.

After the death of my 661 i popped in a 630 i had for a spare and the difference in temps from idle to load were about 11°c. I then bought a 930 slapped that one in and had pretty good temps with that also, i ran it for a month @4.2GHz 1.35v with my idle temps @25°c and load @36°c. Then i bought another Cedar Mill from the classifieds (651 3.4GHz) and i'm having very similar results as my 661! At stock my idle temps are 25°c and load goes as high as 45°c. I haven't tried too much with overclocking yet until i get these load temps down.

Anyone who owns or has owned a Cedar Mill could you post your cooling specs, clock speed, Vcore voltage, and idle~load temps i would appreciate it. I see some people in the water cooling section and the difference from idle to load is sometimes as little as 5°c, is this possible?? Thanks :beer:

EDIT: Here's where my 661 ended up. http://webpages.charter.net/dyl/DSC04887.JPG

Last edited:
I wouldn't even complain about 55c load, I load 71c (100% CPU usage) @ 3.2Ghz, 1.35v. If you're skeptical about your temps, up your voltage until it approaches your chips throttling temp (probably 67C?) and see if they're correct.

My temps for a 641 CedarMill w/ a screwed up XP120 (141cfm delta too)

45c idle, 71c load.

Thanks Xocer...... I'm just trying to see if this temperature jump is normal on these Cedar Mill's. I appreciate the post.

71C load????

i nearly cried when my load went past 55'c today with my 640.

idle temp is same as yours. i think you need better air flow or thermal paste.

exhausted mule said:
71C load????

i nearly cried when my load went past 55'c today with my 640.

idle temp is same as yours. i think you need better air flow or thermal paste.

Yeah, i don't like seeing beyond the 45°c mark @ load with water cooling. I tried reseating several times with different amounts of AS5 and i finally got my idle temps to 24°c and load temps to 42°c. I'll try overclocking tomorrow after the AS5 sets in a bit.

i'd estimate that 80% of the CM's i've seen, and all the CM's i've had, ran some of the highest, and worst load temps out of any chips i've ever used.

wonder why that is...

if anything they should have the same difference in idle/load than a similar 90nm tech core but with a lower heat dissipation.

could be a different IHS attachedment method...

Yeah, i know. This is my second Cedar Mill and the temps between idle and load has been almost 20c with both of them so far, both of them on water. :confused: I've also had a couple of dual cores with the same setup and my load temps were only 8~10c higher than idle. The Cedar Mill is a great chip otherwise, very responsive and quick.

What pump/radiator do you have for your watercooling?
The short time I had this 651 on water I got it to 5ghz stable, but I ran it at 4.6ghz+ @ 1.5vcore daily.
I dont remember the temps ever going above 42C load.
Once I got it on phase I just ran 5.4ghz @ 1.6vcore for about 4 weeks.
So long as your not going above 50C you should be fine.
I pretty sure the temp probe is built into the cpu for LGA775, not sure how accurate they are,
the 651 would never read below -21C. Where as my Celeron D would go down to -32C.
Do you have a thermometer of any type so you can verify that this is the real temp?

Last edited:
Hey Epox, i've got the Swiftech MCP655 pump and a MCR220 dual 120mm radiator. I know the temps i'm getting are nothing extreme but i was just curious to see what other people are getting for temps on these Cedar Mill's. Like i said before with my 930 @4GHZ it wouldn't break 38°c full load but this 651 and my 661 spike pretty high and they get hot quick. I'm running this one @4.4GHz/1.3125v idle 26°c load 46°c 24 hour dual prime stable, i know i could run this chip a lot faster but i'm a little worried about giving this more voltage because i really don't have room on my key chain for another Cedar Mill.......:eek:

The pressler beeing cooler makes no sence at all..

Two possible issues..
whatever your using to read the temps is off..

or.. being the cedarmill has a very small core your having a hard time cooling it with your particular waterblock, getting it mounted in JUST the right spot, concave IHS.. somethings up :(

I would test your tempertures dylskee, run enough voltage until it hits throttling temps (67-69c). If your temp program goes over 75c w/o throttling (download throttlewatch if you havn't already), then your temp probe is obviously wrong, and you can later compinsate later for the temps it displays.

Just a thought.

@Exocer....Yeah, i'll try that now. I know this isn't a bad installation of the water block, these are very easy to install and almost impossible to install it wrong. The acorn nuts bottom out so they have equal pressure on all 4 corners, i aslo tried regular 6-32 nuts to try to get it tighter to the IHS but i had the same results. Well, i try throttling this thing and check the temps.
ALC-SWT-APOGEE_G5.jpg

Have you checked your IHS for a heavy concave? Mine was pretty bad, so I lapped it. That's the only thing I can think of besides testing your temperture probe.

Well, my temps are right on. It started throttling @66°c so i would say the temperature readings are pretty close. I did check the IHS before i installed it and it does have a slight concave but nothing too drastic, my 930 is about the same. One thing with these apogee water blocks is it sits on the entire IHS so it will have less contact in the center, so i tried various amounts of AS5 until i got the best temps i could.

What about the enternal design of the waterblock, would it be designed for a larger die possibly? (lending it to cooling the pressler better since two die's are close enough together to basicly be like a large die proc. is the assumption here)

Only other thing to try would be the lapping :-/

greenmaji said:
What about the enternal design of the waterblock, would it be designed for a larger die possibly? (lending it to cooling the pressler better since two die's are close enough together to basicly be like a large die proc. is the assumption here)

Only other thing to try would be the lapping :-/

Yeah, you could be right about that, i might try the Swiftech STORM water block, or possibly lapping the cpu. Believe me i tried several mounts and these are the best temps i can get from this.

Maybe there are some other cedarmill/watercooled rigs around here that could chime in on what waterblock there using and the results?? :eh?:
Or a Q in the watercooling section???

The storm is a great performer but it would really suck to get one only to find you have the same problems (from a simlar design standpoint)

Back