• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defective PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tmickey68

Hi, first time post. Appreciate the expert's insights.

Just built my first gaming rig. I think I may have a defective PSU but not sure. The first time I turned the system on, my 15 amp circuit kept tripping. I suspected a bad breaker and tried another. Same thing. Then I tried a 20 amp and it kept tripping as well. My house is relatively new and I highly doubt the wiring is the issue.

I double and triple checked all power connections to the CPU, GPU, Cooling/Fans, SSD's, HDD, etc. I checked to make sure all cards were seated properly. I am confident the physical connections and card placements are sound.

It seems that it has to be the PSU. What does everyone else think? Am I overlooking anything?

Here is my build:

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Asus x79 Sabertooth MB
Intel i7 3930K
Visiontek Radeon 7970 GHz 3MB
Corsair Vengeance 4x4 DDR3
OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD X2
Samsung 7200rpm 1TB HDD
Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler

Thanks for your help.
Todd

Almost certainly the PSU. You can isolate though.
Unplug everything (everything!) from the PSU. Turn the switch on the rear of the PSU off.
Put a paperclip in the mobo connector, jumping the Green wire to any Black wire.
Plug it back into the wall and hit the switch.
If the breaker pops, it's the PSU.
If it doesn't, check the rail voltages with a multimeter.

Thanks. Problem with testing is that the PSU is now stuck in "on" positon and if I plug it in it will certainly cause a short. I think I'll just send the PSU back and get a new one.

Thank Bob. RMA completed and it's on its way back to NewEgg. :)

Really appreciate the help.

Well there you go like you said Bob in the other thread you can get a DOA in anything top job my friend.:thup:

Unless you know beyond all doubt that all of the wiring on that circuit is 12 gauge, I would put that 15A breaker back in immediately.

That too.

As a general word of advice: If a circuit breaker is tripping, the problem is not the breaker.

Back