• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deleted My Doc Folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi All:

I hope I put this in the correct area.

I was helping a friend with his computer. (Never again). He was trying to move his files of pics, videos, word docs, etc to another drive. I do not know his set up but I’m sure it’s not a RAID set up. He has two separate 500gb drives.

In his “C” drive it has his “my documents folder”. On his “D” drive he had created another My Documents folder and started to “copy” his folder over there. His idea was to make his 8 year old computer “perform” better. So when I asked him what he did he told me that.

So I deleted the my doc folder he created in the D dive and was going to pull the entire my documents folder from his C drive over and copy it.
When I deleted the my doc folder from the D drive it deleted both my doc folders from both drives.

Don’t know why it did that. I have three hours into this now. Any how I did not run system restore but instead I downloaded recuva and ran that. I see a whole bunch of files but all of it is using the QuickTime ext. And a lot of Picassa ext. Nothing opens. WTH?

Can you guys give me some direction on how to get this darn computer back to where it was before I touched it?

Thanks

The files were deleted. Software may recover some deleted files, sometimes.

I know some people who will not physically touch other people's computers or else whatever goes wrong in the future, they say, "it'll be my fault." :)

It's about finding the best undelete program, some programs are very expensive - but are not very good, so beware of that. Be prepared that some or all files may have been lost, and are unrecoverable.

Always a good idea not to do any writes on the hard drive which contained deleted files, after they were deleted, to increase chances of recovery.

P.S. for others reading this:
3TB external drives were on sale this season for under $100. Perfect for backing up data that will get lost once the internal hard drives go belly-up and they all will some day.

Last edited:
Back