• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding - Did I use too much liquid metal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b60khansen

Registered
This is the second CPU I've done this to. The first was the 7700k in my current rig. I'm pretty sure I applied roughly the same amount and it's worked fine, but after watching a couple more videos It has me wondering if I've been using too much. Here's pictures of a 8700k I just did.

CPU:
20180210_183506.jpg

IHS:
20180210_183508.jpg

Maybe... it is hard to tell from these photos. As my own rule of thumb I aim for wetted without thickness, if that makes sense. Not so little it looks coated but not with a liquid surface, but not so much either that it forms a visible bulge. The concern isn't so much about too much on the CPU as it'll just squirt out, but that's the problem, where does it go after squirting out?

Agreed, it's hard to tell, but you could always use some electrical tape over any contacts (or nitrocellulose nail polish). Just make sure it isn't going to be under the IHS and raise it up to prevent contact.

Use just enough to get complete coverage. Clipping off about 1/3 of the applicator brush length helps give more control. Looks like you are resealing the lid to the PCB with RTV. That's okay but make sure you replace the lid and apply clamping pressure quickly before the RTV sets up. You don't want it to hold the lid off the die and create poor contact with the liquid metal.

I went ahead and redid the delid. Looked like there was too much, but no contacts were covered up at least. I found what works really well is using a small bb sized drop and dabbing the liquid onto the cpu. Here are the results this time around. I tried to take better pictures.

20180211_140936.jpg
20180211_140937.jpg

Up Close

20180211_140916.jpg
20180211_140923.jpg

Looks good to me from other pics I've seen. As others have stated: all you need is enough to cover the DIE. So long as the contacts have some sort of coating barrier to prevent any unforeseen drip and shorting the chip out.
Plop that sucker together and boot that thing!

Back