• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Laptop Freezes in Games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reko02

Registered
i have a Dell laptop with:- 1gig pentium III,256mb 133ram,32mb Nvidia Geforce2go,20gig ata 100 hdd,3com nic+modem combocard,Boomslang 2000 mouse.
When running HL i am getting small freezes in game, usually when firing rpg and grens,seems like a memory or hdd prob. i have been through all my soundcard settings changing things like memory allocation for playing sounds. my hdd is runnig in dma mode. i have played around with the virtual memory settings a little and no diff there. running in hisound 1 is better but still get freezes. is it maybe cos i am running on a laptop that the hdd is holding back a little when it comes to retreiving sounds from the pak file ?? dont seem to be able to tweak my hdd anymore. when using net_graph 1 in game the freezes show up as small breaks in the connection.
Another small problem is my fps will not go more than 59.0 when running with vsync off i get a full 100 most of the time...but it looks a little ugly. i dont believe this to be the cards limit as it NEVER drops under 59.0 i have been playing HL for about 2 years now and i can tweak things ok on my desktop systems. but after tweaking for hours i have stiil no diff with these probs. i understand that a laptop may not want to run aswell as a desktop system does BUT with this spec the freezes are a bit of a pain. Any help or suggestions would be very welcome THX

netgraph.jpg

hmmm. . . this may help. but i had a slight problem like that, i was playin (anygame) and it would just freeze, or restart the computer. and i was like uhhhhh. And my temps were also fine like yours! but i rearanged the vide card and sound card and exhaust cooler. and gave the vid card more breathing room. and my freez ups went bye bye! I'm sure you can't do that in a laptop, but i'd say its the heat on your vid card. But if its just "lagging" sorta, a type of lag, your right it might be your harddrive tyring to read the files. Upgrade to a faster one.

the drive in it atm was the best available.(ata100)not a lot of choice really when buying a laptop.
i think just as it is laptop technologie the drive is kinda restricted in some way.i mean the hdd is so light and small-its gotta have some bad points to making it smaller and lighter.
i have run sandra drive info on my lappy and my desktops and there is little difference in specs. :confused:

Back