• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bklyn629

I have a Dimension 8100, I would like to upgrade my mobo to one that supports HT Technology. Can anyone tell me what board will fit my case? I hear that Dell is funny about re-fitting their cases, and I don't want to buy without being sure of what I'm getting? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!!!

The reindeer on the roof work me up early this morning. Dell motherboards are a cross between an ATX and microATX and other motherboards have a problem fitting the case. Also the powersupply connector on the 8100 is 24 pin. The front panel connector is a ribbon with proprietary pin assignments. I'm not sure the case flows enough air for any kind of overclocking either. Unless you want the challenge of making the Dell case work, you would be better off getting a good case and powersupply and starting from there.

fhanderson said:
The reindeer on the roof work me up early this morning. Dell motherboards are a cross between an ATX and microATX and other motherboards have a problem fitting the case. Also the powersupply connector on the 8100 is 24 pin. The front panel connector is a ribbon with proprietary pin assignments. I'm not sure the case flows enough air for any kind of overclocking either. Unless you want the challenge of making the Dell case work, you would be better off getting a good case and powersupply and starting from there.

Thanks for your input, I went and purchased the Powerleap PL-P4/N with the Northwood 2.6 chip and now she's running alot better. My problem now is, it's not running at it's intended speed, only running at about 2520mhz, I know thats not bad, but I want it to do what it's supposed to. My question for you is, is there anyway to turn up the FSB on the 8100 mobo? I put in two more fans in the front of the case, ( I removed the pci card guide since there was no reason or use for it anyway) and put a 120 mm fan where that once was. I also place a a 60mm fan under the front faceplate on the outer part of the metal casing. The air flow out the back is great now. If I can find a way to slightly overclock this thing, I plan to install either the Zalman CNPS7000 cpu cooler, or the Coolmaster Jet Series heatsink and fan. I know this is alot to be doing to a 3yr old unit, but this was the first system I ever purchase brand new, and I'm not ready to give up on her yet. Plus I don't want to purchase anothing else until if and when Intel drops it's 64bit proccessor, hopefully those will be the P5's, who knows... Thanks for any direction you can guide me in.

Back