• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Vostro 200 - $399 plus free shipping and free 20" WS LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...&oc=brde2fd&s=bsd&dgc=EM&cid=30960&lid=698519

Pros:

Excellent cheap box (bought one for my GF to upgrade her 4 year old desktop that's starting to act flakey)

Windows XP still offered (comes with Home edition or Vista basic (yuck))

Dual core proc

DVD Burner

Free 20" analog WS LCD

1 year on site service/warranty

Cons:

It's a low end machine.

Monitor is not digital (not really needed for 1440 resolution, but it isn't likely going to be the best LCD for the price)

No built-in modem (we fax stuff) and the add-on is $30 (I'll do this myself)

monitor is digital, just onboard video is not digital capable.

I got this deal a few weeks back when it was even cheaper, but i got the slim version.

Actually the monitor supports a digital cable, but it is not digital. It uses the analog part of the DVI cable. I think only the ultrasharps are true digital.

Still though your getting a machine with more than enough power for 90% of the computing population with a 20" LCD for far less than you could source one your self, you would spend almost all of that on the monitor and OS. Hey its like getting the computer for free.

Still though your getting a machine with more than enough power for 90% of the computing population with a 20" LCD for far less than you could source one your self, you would spend almost all of that on the monitor and OS. Hey its like getting the computer for free.

Pretty much my thnking, plus a warranty which you wouldn't get building it yourself.

Vostros are nice and quiet and save you labor from removing all the junk normally included.

I'd like the slim version though to make it a gift for the wife. Wonder if I can call the deal in and persuade the rep to do that for me. Hmmm

Also, pricing out the parts normally runs you over $650!!!!

Last edited:
This is a pretty good deal. $8 of conductive paint and you've got a pretty smoking 2.4GHz dual core machine. The only thing that's kind of weak is the 1gb of memory as 2 x 512mb. I'd prefer a single stick for a cheaper upgrade to 2gb.

Pretty much my thnking, plus a warranty which you wouldn't get building it yourself.

Not necessarily correct. While it's true you wouldn't have one single warranty that covers everything, most of the individual parts in a BYO computer are covered under separate warranties. Intel has the CPU for 3 years if you buy a retail processor, the HD manufacturer typically covers the drive for 3 or 5 years (depending on that manuf. chosen), etc.

For the past several years the situation has been that you simply can't build a system as cheaply as you can buy a bargain box like this Dell. However, the BYO computers still have their advantages, that depending on one's situation can make it worthwhile or not.

I'm using this monitor w/ a vostro slim 200 we got for work as backup comps. Not a bad monitor at all. Colors are deeper than the sammy I replaced it with (941bw) even though both are TN panels I believe. The vostro is an excellent computer just for browsing/office work. Add in a few sticks of memory and remove all the junk in vista and itll run really smooth. Got the e4600, 3gb ddr2, vista business x64 (w/ sp1 and vlite).

This is a pretty good deal. $8 of conductive paint and you've got a pretty smoking 2.4GHz dual core machine. The only thing that's kind of weak is the 1gb of memory as 2 x 512mb. I'd prefer a single stick for a cheaper upgrade to 2gb.

Not necessarily correct. While it's true you wouldn't have one single warranty that covers everything, most of the individual parts in a BYO computer are covered under separate warranties. Intel has the CPU for 3 years if you buy a retail processor, the HD manufacturer typically covers the drive for 3 or 5 years (depending on that manuf. chosen), etc.

For the past several years the situation has been that you simply can't build a system as cheaply as you can buy a bargain box like this Dell. However, the BYO computers still have their advantages, that depending on one's situation can make it worthwhile or not.

yea but i don't have to tear my computer apart, dell does it for me. free. (not really i paid for it)

Back