• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Design a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right now I'm working on Revision 1.2 of the ArcticStorm cooler. This revision is probably only going to include plans for fastening. I have a sneaky way to allow both socket tabs and mobo bolts to be used. I'll be using all of the tabs on the socket on order for it to be fastened securly.

-DarkArctic

Tbird man said:
keep the thread alive! heres an idea that is perhaps a bit extreem its a 120mm hs with fins radiating out from the contact.

That would probably more complicated and more expensive than just buying this:

3100gp1b.gif

DarkArctic said:
Here is Revision 1.2.

That is some good stuff you got there...
but there are some problems...

First, motherboard compatibility will be LOW.

Clipping isn't looking so secure. or maybe I am just not understanding exactly how it is being used on there.

H

Here is my idea from nowhere...
since your design and and just about all the design that we seen here...

Lets just design something that is a monster.
I dont know, maybe this could be a overkill... but who cares...
this is overclockers.com :p

First of all... let's start with this idea... (check the site for Type W)
http://www.kanie.jp/eproductsbodysocket.htm

As you can see it is a heatsink using dual 60mm fan. And the base is a 69x60.

Now from this design... let's make the base 80x80 mm. and just like this Type-W heatsink... upper part of the heatsink gets larger. In my case,, it will become 92x92mm. Now this is a freaking gigantic size heatsink. If this is all copper,,, it would probly break something off... therefore,,, only base will have nice and thick Copper w/ really thin alloy thins a lot of them.

Now, we cannot just place 92mm fan on top of this heatsink... it will need that thingy that is place between sink and fan, just like Type W/ALpha.

Now for the clipping... obcourse it will use 4 mount hole. base of heatsink will have a 4 holes, where user would need to place a screen and attack to board..

or here is a one modification to my idea. like Type W, there will be curv part when heatsink goes from 80 to 92. But... leaving a gap until the curv part begine and we block the upper gaps, and have series of holes on base between fins... and the fan would be place to suck the air off the heatsink. Due to base being 80mm and fan being 92mm... it would be like a vacuum sucking air. since base is smaller it will have bit more greater force of sucking air. and I hope those series of holes on base would help too .(for both fan sucking & blowing)

hehe,, now this is my crazy **** idea from nowhere :)
Huge ugly *** heatsink , eh ?

xxgg said:

That is some good stuff you got there...
but there are some problems...

First, motherboard compatibility will be LOW.

Clipping isn't looking so secure. or maybe I am just not understanding exactly how it is being used on there.

Thanks for the compliment.:)
I forgot to show in the top diagram how the clip is going to work. Basically it will reach through the base and grip onto all the tabs at once. There may be another revision in order to make the clip more secure, I still have a few ideas stuck in my head. :)

-DarkArctic

That's exactly what I was thinking of! I didn't know they manufactured that though. Is it high enough for my HSF? 80mm or more. Where did you find that?

-DarkArctic

Whoa, that is almost the same. They must have someone smart working at GlobalWin LOL. Except mines better :D, it has a copper base and allows the mobo bolts to be used. I also have the 80mm fans. That's crazy though, they're almost exactly alike.

-DarkArctic

yeah very similer. i still like my idea which is much like yours except the fans are on a 45 deg angle and the air exausts out the bottom through the holes. it uses the same clip design.

I dont know,, i just dont wanna do it myself...

someone,, try this...

Remove fan from your heatsink, make a small cover for top of your heatsink and attack a vaccum and see what kind of performance it will give :D hehe...

this is purely for fun.

xxgg said:
I dont know,, i just dont wanna do it myself...

someone,, try this...

Remove fan from your heatsink, make a small cover for top of your heatsink and attack a vaccum and see what kind of performance it will give :D hehe...

this is purely for fun.

I'd do that if I didn't have waterblocks. Anyone else want to try this experimentation out?

-DarkArctic

Back