• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

designing my own WB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

This is my first attempt at designing my own WB and I need some feedback on the design. I have about half the money saved for milling right now, so in two paychecks I'll have it milled (if I still have my job. long story).

here are the preliminary renders:
block.jpg

block-exp.jpg

block-top.jpg

the chanels are half inch.
The base is 1mm

Im not to hot on the old water cooling, I was just wondering dont you need 1 tube in, and 1 tube out! How come you have 3, what dirction does itall flow??

Looks damn nice though..;)

ZedBias, on 3-barb blocks, the central hose barb is generally the inlet and the side barbs are exits. it makes for a very turbulent area of cool water directly above the die, where the heat needs to be dissipated the most.

The design looks very nice. It shouldn't be too expensive to machine since it'll be quick. You'll spend more time mounting the block and changing tools than you will actually cutting.

Any names for it yet? How about the "Hurricane?"

The flow splits in two and moves at half speed. The speed adds turbulence.

My personal opinion is to go for a desighn like carthars, or mine(avatar), or the "WHAT BLOCK" with a small baseplate, jet over the core, and exteme turbulence over the core.You can still have fun with it too, there are many difrent ways of increasing turbulence over the core.

overall if youve got a thin baseplate and a jet youl do pretty good, do what ever makes you most comfortable

I was thinking of cutting grooves over the core like:

blockfins.jpg

I like the added boost in performance people have seen with this design, but I'm not sure if my pump will make full use of it...also, it would add a considerable ammount to the cost of milling.

:D Oh, I use AutoCAD 2002 for the design and the rendering. I have had people ask what prog I render in and when I tell them, they don't believe me...

ooh, a thought.

those grooves will be impossible to mill like that if the channels are there, how much of a performance drop do you think I would see from flat bottomed grooves?

Cant say exactly what kind of perf. hit youll take(if any)
Id just put some divits where you wanted to put those fins......it'll do a better job in creating turbulance than those fins would anyway IMO

me too :( I still am gong to make the other one, I sent the plans to get an estimate tonight. :)

to hell with a WW clone. I am getting mine made.

I alway rag on the people making whitewater clones, and here I was, about to make one. I like my design, and that's what I'm going to use.

What’s wrong with white water clones? If it works why reinvent the wheel? I understand wanting to be different and that’s cool. But isn't the most efficient cooling possible what most of us are really after?
Don't get me wrong stealing someone’s design and turning it into a commercial product is a little under handed. But for your own use I say go for it.

Anyway I like your design looks nice. One idea may to be make it so the cuts don't meet in the center, so the incoming water is forced faster down into each cut.

Just my 2-Celsius

Last edited:
lol, I agree, go ahead with the origional one, It just needs a little bit of revisions, like the thicknesses should be changed up a little bit,
There are reasons for making WW clones:D

Well, there are many ways that you could impliment the WW's most performance determing factors into your design, and still remain an original design of your own.

And I see your point...but why not try to invent the wheel? Cathar did and it worked out pretty good for him!
And the most ironic part is that its such a simple design that turned out to be such a great performer. Its a wonder someone hadnt thought of using it in watecooling before he did!!

I like your design very much. And Ill have to agree with Jfettig, that with a little more tweaking..itll be a very nice block indeed.

Ive been making blocks for a while now, and Ive come to find, that the simplest designs usually perform better....and they're much less stressful to do, even with a CNC mill!It takes as much time to CAD/CAM the design and generate the G-code, as it does to mill it(for me anyway....I suck at it...LOL)

Besides, if youre going to CNC this design, then[unless you own a CNC mill/router yourself 8p ] you'll want to keep it simplistic for your wallets sake!

Good luck

Man I really gotta learn to use that "preview reply" button, before I send a reply without spell checking!!

Back