• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop vs. Server CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

serrien1

ok guys. this question has been rattling around in my head for a while and i havent been able to find a simple answer. what is the difference between desktop and server CPUs? how are server CPUs for overclocking and graphics?

Typically the only differences are better virtualization support, with a few small things.
Server CPUs can be used in a desktop machine.

The server CPUs will have a locked multiplier.

Server CPUs may or may not come with on chip graphics (Intel anyway), and offer more price/performance steps.

Motherboards may or may not support ECC memory, since on chip memory controllers I believe both are included.

If you are not overclocking and do not need on chip graphics you can usually get an I7 server CPU for a little more than the price of an I5 K.

The sever systems I've seen have robust memory error checking (chipkill is the only one I can remember). Some of them actually scan the memory for errors and auto-correct, which noticeably degrades performance if a memory stick is actually bad (this requires ECC).

Yes there is often moer under the hood since their role's are often critical.

but other than that if you dont plan to overclock... you can get some good prices.

Check for motherboard memory support.
Some consumer motherboards support ECC memory, some do not.
Expect all server motherboards to support ECC memory.

ECC memory and chipkill slow memory access. Because you can't be checking for errors without introducing additional latency of some kind. Some server BIO's will actually disable RAM that throws too many errors (e.g. IBM x3550-M3).

Back