• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Infinity NF ULTRAII-M2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tragic_monkey

I've bought the DFI Infinity NF ULTRAII-M2 along with AM2 3600+ (i think the one that runs at 2ghz stock anyway) and 2x1GB cheap 800Mhz DDR2 (yeah buying cheap stuff was a bit of a bad idea). Well it looks like the max stable fsb speed for this board is 260, 265 and can't even boot into linux, its not the cpu thats limiting me as ive lowered the ratio and same problem ive tried giving the chipset more voltage also with no success. Anyway what I wanted to ask was:
a) anyone else got this board, if so what fsb speeds are you getting?
b) thinking of sticking one of those fancy zalman northbridge heatsinks on it, will this make much difference or not? oh yeah average running temp for chipset is ~60C

cheers
ollie

I just sold one of those boards. I got it to 350 HTT without a problem using a 3600+ Brisbane dual core. I used the stock NB cooler, albeit is junk. I just removed the tim and put AS5 on it. Temps were still pretty high, so I don't think that is your limiting factor.
What memory dividers did you try? Your value ram may not like the dividers....wish I could help more, but without running into that wall, I really have little experience troubleshooting on that board. Hopefully someone else can give some better advice.

I agree with the last poster, I have a little AM2 test project going with a Brisbane 3600+ (8x300, stock voltage), AM2 daughter card, an AsRock 939 Dual, and two gigs of Adata PC6400 (800) stuffs running 960 (480) and 1/1 right now and getting the higher HTT's has a whole lot to do with ram timings.......

had a heck of a time figuring the settings out, but a good place to start is get it booted with one stick, fire up CPU-Z, get the actual programmed SPD timings for the highest rated frequency, and use those very LAX timings as a starting point when going for the higher clocks.

it just takes time and patience...

laterz

after playing around with it some more I've found out that if i reduce the multiplier to 9x, fsb 260 from 10x fsb 260 (which is stable), I get the same stability problems hangs at the ubuntu loading screen. This is really odd because all I'm doing is reducing the cpu speed.
also messing around with the mem ratios did cause some stability issues on speeds that they should be more capable of handling. I'm gonna try and get a stick of decent memory and see how it performs. but any ideas as to the multiplier problem, can this be blamed on the memory???

It can easily be blamed on the memory, especially value RAM. I could hardly budge some GSkill on that board, but Corsair XMS and OCZ Platinum were absolutely fantastic on it. Now with the Corsair I could not go past 1000MHz with 5-5-5-15 although the same Corsair will do 1050 5-5-5-15 on my Asus M2N-SLI. The OCZ went to 1100MHz on the UltraII, but the OCZ would barely get over 1000MHz on my Asus.
So yeah, RAM makes a big difference and value ram is usually problematic unless you get lucky with some Crucial or Kingston that has D9 IC's.

One major thing I forgot to mention, DO NOT use the 8UM2D403 BIOS, although it says it improves OC on 65nm (brisbane), it's a terrible BIOS. I was using the previous 8UM2D226 BIOS and it worked great.

Back