• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Infinity nForce4 SLI bios upgrading fiasco

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Well, after looking at my old board and seeing that the bios was a year out of date (from 2005, most recent bios is 2006) I figured I would set about updating to the newest version.

I swear, I've never used any other board where upgrading the bios has been so difficult.

To upgrade this thing I had to download four different files, format my flash drive to be a bootable disk, copy the files for a dos-prompt so that I could initialize the bios upgrade utility once I got everything ready, then copy the bios upgrade files themselves onto my flash drive.

So, after I did all of that I then had to plug the drive into my DFI board, then go into the bios and configure it to boot from removable media (the USB flash/thumb drive), save and exit, then wait for the drive to find itself. Finally it starts to boot from the drive, but then ultimately gave me some kind of error message about the bios file not being found, so I had to manually input the file name of the executable to run the bios setup program. Then, once I got in there I had to manually input the name of the new bios file (it will not automatically find it, and there is no way to search the drive for it), and after hitting Enter a few times it finally upgrades the bios to the new file version and says it has completed successfully and that I have to hit F1 to restart the system in order to save the changes.

So, I've followed all of the instructions, updated the bios successfully, and even saved a backup of the old bios version just in case it failed. Which brings us to the next bootup (or lack thereof), upon reboot I get some POST beep error code I've never even heard before. So, I shut down the system, let it sit for a bit and try again, same result, no POST, no video, nothing but this beep code. Last resort, open up the case, remove the CMOS battery and set the jumper to clear the CMOS and unplug the power cord from the power supply. Phew, now it boots, and the upgrade was indeed successful, bios options look a little different than before. I didn't have a spare BIOS chip for this board on hand, so I was really hoping this would work.

One nice feature is that Cool 'N Quiet™ actually works now, because I never could get that to work before, for reasons unknown.

All of the other boards I've owned and done bios upgrades on have been much easier. My MSI allowed bios upgrading from within the OS (that was nice), my Gigabyte has a feature within the bios itself where you basically just go to a specific menu to upgrade the bios and it automatically recognizes bios upgrade files on the flash drive, an Asus I had was pretty similar to the Gigabyte.

Last edited:
bios file not being found = yep that is correct since the files you copied over are looking for A: not C: since the Usb stick becomes a C drive and a floppy does not when booted.

Back