• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LP DK 790FX-M2RS Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANTEC900

I Am Getting A DFI LP DK 790FX-M2RS In A Trade
And I Would Like To Know How Good It Is At Overclocking

The Specs It Will Be Used With:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940
RAM: 2x2GB Patriot Viper Series PC2 6400
GPU: Asus Top HD4850
PSU: 750w Thermaltake Toughpower W0117RU
HDDs: 300GB Velociraptor And 500GB Seagate Barracuda
Case: Antec Super Lanboy
CPU Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500

Almost Forgot This Is My First AMD Rig So I Do Not Know Much About AMD Stuff

With the SB600, it wouldn't be as good as their other 790FX boards for Phenom overclocking (no ACC), but with Athlon X2s or Phenom IIs, it'll do just fine. They can handle plenty high HTT speeds and all the memory tweaks you'll ever need.

I can tell you for sure as theflyingrat mentioned that you can expect descent memory tweaks. The best among all mobo makers in my personal opinion.

I had that board for 1 1/2 years with a BE 5000+. I had it OC'ed to 3.2 for the entire time. I never messed with the ram, other than bumping the mhz up a bit, and as expected it handled it perfectly. The BIOS is cake too, a lot better than asus... I wish I would have gone back to DFI. As netmask said, they are the best boards IMO. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Joe

IMO, the older 790FX/SB600 boards (especially the 790FX-M2RS, K9A2 Plat, and M3A32) will OC the Phenom II's as good as the best SB750 boards.

Just make sure you've got an updated BIOS so your chip is supported ... :)

Back