• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 UT-D Chipset fan problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcollins82

My chipset fan just died on me unfortunately. Luckily, I can't seem to keep myself from opening my case up and fooling with stuff so I noticed before any damage was done. But I was wondering if there are any aftermarket chip set fans that would possibly be more durable than the stock one. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?

Thanks for any help.

Maybe this could help you:

I've removed the oval shim and the annoying :) fan from the sink and pointed a silent 120mm fan in direction of the sink.
Result: System is silent and NB temperature never goes above 42C.
Just get some airflow over and some TIM under the sink and all is well.

Aftermarket NB sinks often don't fit well with the GFX card. My card even hit the original shim, this problem is now gone, too.

This is somewhat disturbing, you couldn't have had the board for more then few months and its allready dead? This is something that DFI should take care of 100%.
I hate RMAing cause you loose the board for a while but sending you a replacment would be nice.
Also there is a guy on the classifieds selling heatsinks and he has one that would surly fit that.

I contacted them on Tuesday and they said they were going to send out a replacement. Hopefully, it will be here tomorrow. In a way, I'm ok with the fact that it went dead because it gave me a reason to do the SLI mod I was too lazy to do when I first got it.

Got the new fan in the mail today and I booted up my system but the fan still stalls. I have a sinking feeling it could be my motherboard. Which would be bad for two reasons, one I don't want to have to send it in and two I just did the SLI mod and I doubt DFI would think too highly of that. Does the fan idle when the temperature is low or something? If so, I never noticed that before. But at the same time I check the BIOS chipset temperature and it's always around 26C which is hardly anything to worry about. I just don't want to put my faith in the software temperature monitoring and have it smoke my motherboard.

The DFI board has automatic fan control for the northridge (and other fan headers as well). When you're in BIOS, this fan control is temporarily disabled and your NB fan will run at full speed. Once you boot into windows, Smart Gaurdian automatically adjusts your fan based on it's temp. You can go in manually and adjust the settings.

Your temps aren't right though..........unless you live in Alaska, your NB temps should be quite a bit toastier, around 40C or higher

MassiveOverkill said:
The DFI board has automatic fan control for the northridge (and other fan headers as well). When you're in BIOS, this fan control is temporarily disabled and your NB fan will run at full speed. Once you boot into windows, Smart Gaurdian automatically adjusts your fan based on it's temp. You can go in manually and adjust the settings.

Your temps aren't right though..........unless you live in Alaska, your NB temps should be quite a bit toastier, around 40C or higher

Yeah, If I remember right its soposed to shut down completly under a certin temp and I quite sure that 26C is under that temp.

If you want pictures of my chipset mod of the Zalman ZM-NB47J chipset cooler I'll post them here upon request. Keeps my chipset at about 44 idle 46 heavy extended load, a lot better than the temps in my sig that are not updated.

Back