• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diagnosing instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I managed to get the ram stable at stock io voltage... Made a stupid mistake, I was running the ram at 1.5v, upped it to 1.6v and now everything is fine!
Now i know i have some overclocking headroom :D

In the beginning did you have the RAM voltage set to Auto or did you set it too low manually?

In the beginning did you have the RAM voltage set to Auto or did you set it too low manually?

With my original (bad ram) The voltage was auto @ 1.5v (What they are rated at). The new ram was auto set to 1.5v even with xmp, they are 1.65v kit. I have them running at 1.6v stable. Can probably get them running at a lower voltage yet (errors were not many @ 1.5v) but i don't have the time to test for proper stability.

No reason not to run them at 1.65 if that's what the factory specs call for.

If they run fine at 1.6 doesn't that save power and reduce heat? I cannot seem to get them stable at anything other then stock speeds anyways :(

Just don't be surprised if down the line the memory becomes unstable if you run it at less than factory recommended voltages but with XMP timings and frequency.

If the memory ages and is no longer stable at 1.6v I can always increase to 1.65v ;) Besides i don't expect to be using this computer before that is a problem.
Anyways, thanks for all your help. If i didn't ask here i probably would have suspected my mobo as being bad and would have had to spend some $$$$!
Thanks!

Back