• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DICE prices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

What does your local store charge for DICE?

I just asked my local grocery store, and they had it for $.99 a pound. Hopefully I can get a bulldozer sub zero here soon. I figured it would be more expensive!

Sounds about right, I have heard these guys usually go threw like 30~60$ worth of Dice or LN2 a session though. Lotta places carry dice at least.

Local the lowest and only place that has it is a $1.79 a pound.:mad:

If I travel a bit I can get it for about a buck.

$0.99/lb at Kroger and Harris Teeter here.

If you're interested, LN2 is $1.63/L at the best supply company I can find around here.

I can burn max 15lb of DICE in a long evening on a Thuban. Not sure how fast LN2 goes yet, my first fill is in the dewar right now. :D

Buck 39 here, I generally buy around 8lbs per thing being cooled.
If it's a high burn CPU like a 950 or especially a 980x I'll buy twice that.
If there's a video card involved that uses a PCIe connector, add a brick per PCIe power connector per six hours. That'll get you something decent.

What you gotta balance is on one hand, running outta dice sucks.
On the other hand, having something go "pop" when you're 10% of the way through your $45 dice load sucks too.
Have backup stuff to bench, that's my advice.
Two full systems ideally. A spare mobo is arguably the most important, they're where dubious insulation will show up as wetness and end a session, or at least put a major damper in it in the process of warming up, taking the pot off, taking all the insulation off, heating the board up and drying it off, reinsulating, etc.

That's why I usually only get one brick.

Sidenote: Put some hot soapy water in the sink and toss some dice in.

2.sidenote: I've been watching the sopranos, can you tell?

1.19 here at either walmart or brookshires.

Buck 39 here, I generally buy around 8lbs per thing being cooled.
If it's a high burn CPU like a 950 or especially a 980x I'll buy twice that.
If there's a video card involved that uses a PCIe connector, add a brick per PCIe power connector per six hours. That'll get you something decent.

What you gotta balance is on one hand, running outta dice sucks.
On the other hand, having something go "pop" when you're 10% of the way through your $45 dice load sucks too.
Have backup stuff to bench, that's my advice.
Two full systems ideally. A spare mobo is arguably the most important, they're where dubious insulation will show up as wetness and end a session, or at least put a major damper in it in the process of warming up, taking the pot off, taking all the insulation off, heating the board up and drying it off, reinsulating, etc.

That's why I usually only get one brick.

Sidenote: Put some hot soapy water in the sink and toss some dice in.

2.sidenote: I've been watching the sopranos, can you tell?

I'll have to hit you up here in a few weeks when I first attempt it. I've been reading non stop on everything these last few weeks, so exciting!

I'm going to use the artist eraser method for insulating. I'm going to take my sweet time on that, I don't want to "pop" anything :shock:

$0.80 here if I buy 15lbs or more, if not I'm spending $1.50/lb. So pretty much no reason to not buy 15lbs or more, even if a little goes to waste.

$0.80 here if I buy 15lbs or more, if not I'm spending $1.50/lb. So pretty much no reason to not buy 15lbs or more, even if a little goes to waste.

I could find many things to do with dry ice .. there is no waste :clap:

I am curious, what store offers that deal? Just asked my local publix and it's $1.49 here.

I am curious, what store offers that deal? Just asked my local publix and it's $1.49 here.

Yup... Publix by my house sells it at $1.49 as well. I found a smallish mom&pop shop that has it for $0.99 per pound, but the 10 mile trip each way kills it. I'd rather drive ten blocks and pay a bit extra. :D

Mine is a place called Capital City Ice, not sure if they are located anywhere else. Comes in pellets as well there, instead of a block.

Mine is a place called Capital City Ice, not sure if they are located anywhere else. Comes in pellets as well there, instead of a block.

That's the one and only.

Airgas supply has all the goods but traffic is a *****. I have to take one of my boys to an appointment next week and may have to stop in as it's on the way.

In Cali its about 1.49, in CT it was about 1.09. Theres a Praxair in town, gotta check their price.

Woohoo just found it for 0.70 a lb with a 15lb minimum purchase at a small local business. Now I have to get a rig set up lol.

Well stopped by the local market and come to find out the sign they have with price is incorrect. It's not a $1.79 per pound. It's .99 cents. They only sell 10 pound blocks so not bad for me.

Back