• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did "burning in" help my 2.4b ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kronos138

i bought my 2.4b back in august and overclocked for a week. i found that i couldn't hit anything above 2.86Ghz. it wouldn't even post. so i gave up and set it down to 2.7 so that the fans wouldn't deafen me. anyway i decided to try my luck again and i'm up to 2.97Ghz. what's up with that? could be that over time my CPU has loosened up or whatever you want to call it?

second: why can't i go any higher? i can't go to 166 FSB. it won't even post. if i go down to 165 its fine. i'm so close to 3Ghz.....so close i can almost taste it.

Some 2.4b Processors couldn't OC very well. I have one that is limited to 2.72Ghz on stock vcore. I have tried higher with stock vcore and it fails Prime95. I can boot into windows at a little over 3Ghz, but not stable. Maybe you didn't get a very good chip. I have had my chip for almost a year, and it is still stuck at 2.72, no higher. You might have "burned it in", and if it got you a higher OC, thats good. Just don't be suprised that it won't hit 3Ghz, some won't make it that high.

ya. for some reason i never really bought into the burning in idea. but for some reason i'm looking at 110mhz more than i got last summer. <sigh> 3Ghz.......so........close........

I've seen it before that a "seasoned" CPU will O/C better than a new one. Whether this is truly "burn-in" working or the thermal paste curing and working better or a combination of several factors, I don't know.

A couple times when I hit a brick wall like you are describing, it's been RAM holding me back. What timing, ratio, and vdimm are you using? Try 1:1 ratio, bump up your vdimm and loosen up your timings, then see what happens. How about vcore? What are using and what have you tried so far?

to be quite honest i think you're completely right. my ram is kinda cheap. my vdimm is maxed at 2.85V. i only have the 3:2 and 5:4 options available since my chip is only a B. the timings i'm kinda lost on. i spent about 4 hours yesterday experimenting with all kinds of different possibilities and combinations but no dice. as soon as i change it to 166 i get nothing. and i tried 167 and 168 just for good measure

Back