• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did Unity just commit suicide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Apparently, Unity made changes to the payment methods that had developers (especially indie) leave in droves, including terminating projects in development?

Update this morning

I had to dig a bit for info on what is Unity ... and I'm still not sure if I should care.

Most games nowadays, especially mobile/Indie (not AAA), are made in Unity, so it's kinda of a big deal for developers :rain:

I thought so looking at their related products. So I care even less ;) ... but really, most of these games are more like unwanted ads. Most are pretty bad and made only to push people to pay for things they don't need. Even on Nintendo Switch, you can see that most games are made this way.

I do feel this is a major shifting point for gamedev in general. For 3D game engines that "anyone" can use Unity and Unreal are the big two, with Unity being ball park 2x the community size of Unreal. Unity doesn't seem to have as many AAA releases but Subnautica is notable to me. I think it will be the smaller studios and indies that will be impacted most by this. The cost-per-install pretty much nukes the f2p model and low cost games. A more conventional revenue split would have made more sense, but it doesn't feel like that is Unity's goal. Apparently the current head of Unity is the same person who was responsible for the EA lootbox thing some years ago, so they got history in this area.

Unity was supposed to be heavily impacted by the Metaverse nonsense but never really took off after that hype faded. I've been watching their stock since then and it hasn't changed much so maybe they are trying to get some better income. From a corporate point of view I can see how this makes sense actually. The way I understand it Unity will now make money off each end-user install rather than an unlimited plan style. So instead of the creator taking all profit they have to split it with Unity. I assume this is similar to how normal games work since the distributor, the creator studio and the tech used all split money made so Unity is taking that approach with these little games. Seems reasonable to me.

Personally I could care less and hope it does end F2P because I think its killing gaming advancement and competition.

Lost the link now but I saw a Bloomberg article that said Unity have backtracked on some points. From memory:
Installs wont be counted retroactively.
There will be a cap of 4% of revenue over $1M
Studios will report installs, there wont be software monitoring by Unity.

If this in effect means up to 4% revenue cut for successful games, it can be managed. With the original proposal in the worst case of revenue just above the trigger threshold and a higher install count, it would be 20% or higher.

As Unity (a prominent games industry service provider) lays off a quarter of its workforce... a question should be asked about whom this company is truly serving. Is it developers? Shareholders? Or is it the Executives... who benefit far more than anyone else as new and troubling decisions are made seemingly every passing month. In a race to the bottom, Unity seems determined to burn every remaining shred of its good will for the sake of... ? Executive bonuses?

Back