• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different BSODs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ballr28

Registered
New parts for about 2 months now maybe, no problems what so ever. Suddenly yesterday computer decides to go all pms on me an stuff, so i get different kinds of BSOD, and program crashes when windows has booted up as normal.

Think ive had four different kinds of BSOD, here are three i remember the name of:

BAD POOL HEADER
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Tried the different registry cleanups, tried to update drivers, tried everything i know of (which isnt alot ;p) aaaaand yeah. Did extensive virusscans to see if there was anything fishy going on, and nothing came up on that front. OC forums, what are my options?

Worth mentioning: When i installed my new parts i had trouble with the ram and BIOS, updated bois and removed that problem, but kind of worried it might be the ram this time... though why wouldnt it have broken down on me before now?

Oh, and i cant seem to update my GPU properly, not in safemode nor regular mode.

Boot to Memtest86+ installed to either a flash drive (auto-installer for USB Key - Win 9x/2K/XP/7) or DVD (Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO), and check the RAM for stability. Or if you're running either Vista or Win7, check the RAM using the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic program.

Ran memtest86+ on each of my modules, turns out one had around 40k errors :( will my computer be able to run at only three of my modules? Or do the modules need to be working together?

With 3 x 2GB modules installed, the config. will revert to single channel mode. Otherwise w/ 2 x 2GB modules installed in either the blue or white slots, it'll revert to dual channel.

Yes, as a temporary measure you can even run on 1 module. Running a known good module is a good way to test if the ram slot, hence MB, is the problem. You could always run two modules for 4 GB in dual channel mode. Most folks don't really need more than that. I was running 2x2GB for a long time and have recently upgraded to 12 GB by adding 2x4GB Kingston HyperX that was on sale for $40. Fortunately RAM is relatively cheap these days.

pros/cons dualchannel vs single? I mean, i feel like ive wasted my money now :( i basically need more RAM for load, not speed

Back