• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Different fans in push/pull?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oysti82

Just installed my new XSPC Rasa RX240-kit.
Mounted the radiator at the top of my cabinet, installed the 2 fans following the kit under the radiator pushing air from inside the cabinet through the radiator and out of the cabinet.
The fans installed from the kit are:
- 120mm
- 1650RPM
- Airflow 65.2 CFM
- Static Air Pressure 1.8 mmAq

Thing I'm wondering about is installing another pair of fans wich I have, on top of the radiator so I get a push/pull-config.
They are:
Corsair SP120
- 120mm
- 1450RPM
- Airflow 37.95 CFM
- Static Air Pressure 1.29mm

Will this help my performance ? Or does the different stats on the fans just mess it all up?

Edit:
Got another pair of fans I could put on top there.
Those are:
NZXT FZ140
- 140mm
- 1000RPM
- Airflow 83,6 CFM
- Airpressure 0.81 mmH₂O

Would these do any better ?

Last edited:
I am no expert but I would advise agenst using your other fans becase they do not have the same specs as the others do, pretty sure the genrale thought on this is to not use diffrent fans but to use the exact same ones

You 'can' see a small increase in performance. You want to really make the rad work better, get some higher, lots higher CFM fans. 2500+ with good pressure ratings.

Putting 1000 RPM fans on that for push/pull? Really no help at all.

Putting lower CFM fans to make the rad push/pull won't make a ton of diff if any.

Say your Dt temps are 10C and you want to decrease the Dt by half, meaning your CPU temps will drop by 5C. It's going to take a LOT more fannage and increase noise greatly.

Better adding another rad possibly.

We also have a WC forum for questions like this.

Nice looking kit, this thread should go in water cooling forum for it is asking how fans behave on radiators.

Alright, thanks for the answers. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

Gonna add another rad in a little while, as I'm gonna grab me a couple of reference 7970 and put them under water too.
But reason I was asking about the fans, is because I have them here. Don't have a another rad yet......

Put this thread here cause I thought it was more about the fans working against each other than the rad, but sure it could been put under the WC forum aswell.

Keeping it as it is then for now. Gonna order enough of the same fans to do push/pull on both rads when I order another one.
Giving my 8350 1,5V @4,8 now, maxing out at 56c on the cores. A bit different from my old H70, giving me 60c at 1,4V :)

You can try it while you wait. The most likely problem is that the faster fan will force air threw the slower can, causing it to spin faster than it was designed to. Whether this is bad or not depends on the speeds that the bearing in the slower fan is actually rated for.

Change the position of the fans. As long as each push/pull combo is the same it will work.

You can try it while you wait. The most likely problem is that the faster fan will force air threw the slower can, causing it to spin faster than it was designed to. Whether this is bad or not depends on the speeds that the bearing in the slower fan is actually rated for.

+1

If the slower fast is too slow for the fastest one, you will end up with worst result.

Try and see ! If your temp are better with 2 fans, call it a day :)

Change the position of the fans. As long as each push/pull combo is the same it will work.

Ah. Didn't think of that :)
So corsairs in push/pull on one side of the rad, and the xspc-ones on the other side then :)

Gonna give all the suggestians a go. Just gotta get home from Ikea first :p

Back