• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dimension 9200 (E6600) temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobMonty1987

Registered
Hi guys. I recently overclocked a Dell Dimension 9200 (xps410) with the Intel E6600 processor (2.4ghz) using Starless' tutorial after trying to find many other ways. Right now I am sitting at 2.8ghz. The only issue I am having is that my temperatures (according to CoreTemp, RMClock, SpeedFan, & Speccy) all read about 28 degrees idle and 42 degrees when stress-tested with Prime95. I realize it is common knowledge that the safe-zone as far as temperature is around 65-90c (debated about), so herein lies my question:

In every single instance I have read about someone overclocking a Dimension 9200, they always describe 'pushing it' to 2.8ghz, or becoming unstable past 2.8ghz in general. What is it exactly that could be preventing them from pushing past this cap? My first guess would be the heat, but to be honest, my case is nothing special and I only have an aircooled system. Granted, there are 3 extra fans in there, but if these other guys cared enough to OC a dell, I can't help but feel that the temperature is not the reason they couldn't exceed 2.8ghz. It is especially confusing to me because I cannot find one instance of surpassing 2.8ghz, yet the E6600 is (reportedly easy) capable of 3.2...

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what other anomalies could cause an overclock to fail and is there a reason (other than a locked bios) that a Dell would be gimped like this? I am aware of temperature and having RAM that is fast enough. Details would be nice. Layman's terms would be awesome. Also, if anyone has an opinion on how far I should be able to push it with this thing (safely), or any reports of any success stories, I'd appreciate it. I guess for now I will sit at my 2.8 until I hear back from someone. Thanks.

Last edited:
What is it exactly that could be preventing them from pushing past this cap?
Simple: Insufficient voltage. The higher the clock frequency, the more voltage the component requires; if you can't increase the voltage, you can't stabilize (or achieve) a higher clock frequency.

Ah thanks for the direct answer. I had a feeling this was the case after doing a little more reading. So which tool should I be using to monitor my current and maximum voltage? I have been using RM Clock which says my current, startup, and maximal voltage are all 1.35v, and minimal is1.1875v (these are all at the stock 2.4ghz, before overclock to 2.8). Unless I'm reading it wrong, I'm already at maximum, yet I can push to 2.8? Can someone shed light on this?

I've tried SpeedFan (as recommended in another thread on this forum), but nothing showed up, probably because this is a Dell...

Also one more question. I'm looking at Starless' pin-mod for the CPU. Would this allow more voltage in the sense that I need it?

Last edited:
The best program for that would be CPUID

Your not at the max "safe" voltage for a 65nm C2D. Thats 1.55 I believe?

But since you can't adjust the Vcore 2.8Ghz sounds about right. A lot of the 65nm CPU's can reach 3Ghz or a little over on stock volts but you may have a high VID chip.

I see that system uses the Intel P965 chipset. I'm not 100% positive but I'm sure that would hold you back a lot even if you could adjust the Vcore.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed as I am increasing the FSB, I do not get any change in voltage. It stays at 1.35v. When should I see this increase? I'm seeing the same thing on CPU-Z, CoreTemp, and RM Clock. What should I be looking at? The VID?

Ah so thats why... so there is no way to monitor the voltage for me I guess? Hmm. It seems my only problem is voltage. Even at 2.8 my cpu is a cool 24c... Ok, so assuming I am going blind here, what are the symptoms I will experience by pushing too far? Anything crippling? I have never overclocked a Dell before -_- Thanks for all your help btw.

Last edited:
Back