• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direction of Coolmaster N520 in an antech 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fineas

Registered
i was wondering if i can point the exhaust from the N520 strait up to exhaust right out the top or does is need to exhaust out of the back. i would assume with heat rising this would help heat out that much faster. but at the same point it will be sucking air from the bottom where the 6950 is.

thank you for your advice

i tried it and couldn't tell any difference. I have not been able to put it under any significant load so we will see in the future.

Heat does not rise, heat radiates equally from all sides in all directions. Warm air in a stable mass will rise. You have case fans, airflow is being pushed, not stable. So the heat rising theory is rubbish with PC cases.

right or wrong about warmer air being less dense than colder air thus rising. there is no difference mounting the cpu fans in right to left or down to up positions. same temp under load.

Try it and see.
He wanted an opinion, not a redundant answer =/
i was wondering if i can point the exhaust from the N520 strait up to exhaust right out the top or does is need to exhaust out of the back. i would assume with heat rising this would help heat out that much faster. but at the same point it will be sucking air from the bottom where the 6950 is.

thank you for your advice

Either. Normally larger fans move more air at slower RPMs.

Heat does not rise, heat radiates equally from all sides in all directions. Warm air in a stable mass will rise. You have case fans, airflow is being pushed, not stable. So the heat rising theory is rubbish with PC cases.

PC cases aren't exactly vacuums. Warm air will not rise, it will escape because of the air pressure difference between incoming (cooler) and exiting (hot) air.

Back