• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling Power Down Mode and Gear Down Mode fixed game crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rakanoth

Registered
I just want to note it down here: I have been playing BF4 lately and my Ryzen CPU is overclocked to 3.9GHz with 1,425 vcore. BF4 crashed after sometime into the game. Like between 5 minutes to 40 minutes. I thought CPU OC was unstable and removed CPU overclock but kept all the other settings on BIOS intact. It crashed again. Then I went to the DRAM settings and turned off Power Down Mode and Gear Down Mode. Now no crashes. I turned back them on just to make sure they were the cause of the crash and the game crashed again. Now I know these two settings somehow (I can't explain why) destabilizes RAM OR (not XOR) CPU-RAM communication. We know that CPU depends upon RAM a lot in terms of both performance and stability, right? :)

Last edited:
What are your other specs? Motherboard model and bios version? Make and frequency of RAM? What you have discovered may be peculiar to the combination of components you have assembled or it may have wider significance. We need more info. Please consider creating a Signature so that your specs are summarized and travel with every post.

I just added my signature but it doesn't show up in my old posts. Maybe it will show up after I post this. Let's see :)
In case it doesn't show up, here's the specs:

Asrock X370 Taichi
AMD Ryzen R7 1700
Nzxt Kraken x62 AIO water cooling
G.SKILL Trident Z (F4-3200C14D-16GTZ) DDR4 3200MHz C14
Evga 1080 Ti SC2
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
WD Desktop Black 1 TB
NZXT S340 Elite Steel
Seasonic PRIME FOCUS Modular (80+Gold) 650W
Asus ROG Swift PG278QR Monitor

Last edited:
Thanks. Your signature does show up in the first post of this thread.

Are you able to get your RAM to run at the full 3200 mhz without issue?

What bios version are you running?

That ram should run without issue and yes gear down disabled and set to 1T is optimum

Thanks. Your signature does show up in the first post of this thread.

Are you able to get your RAM to run at the full 3200 mhz without issue?

What bios version are you running?

I have the latest BIOS possible at the moment. It is the 3.20 version. And yes, I can run the RAM at 3200MHz without any issue. The issue appears when I bring these two settings (Power Down Mode and Gear Down Mode) to their defualt values.

That ram should run without issue and yes gear down disabled and set to 1T is optimum

I will try with 1T and report back. But I am pessimistic about 1T's stability because I think it might require more voltage as it is supposed to provide higher performance (maybe not very noticeable though).

Back