• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling startup programs / services

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys , using Windows 7 here, i was wondering if any of you could give me bit more info / advice what i programs / process / service can safety disable on windows startup and background running.

I try to stop any unnecessary things running on my PC for maximum performance.

Maybe could list out the common things that Windows 7 have and usually you guys will disable it.

Any other common programs are welcome too.

Eg. Realplayer , Java update , Adobe Update, STEAM ( but i already disabled all this )

Another thing , i have this Intel Rapid Storage running whenever i startup , can i disable it ? What i read its a program for RAID , but i don't have RAID , since im only running 1 X HDD now

I would save a screenshot of the Services page and then reboot in safe mode with networking. Compare your screenshot with the Services . The services that don't boot in Safe Mode can be set to 'manual' in the properties dialog boxes. I also disable all the Windows services that pertain to access or control of anything from a remote location.

I would save a screenshot of the Services page and then reboot in safe mode with networking. Compare your screenshot with the Services . The services that don't boot in Safe Mode can be set to 'manual' in the properties dialog boxes. I also disable all the Windows services that pertain to access or control of anything from a remote location.

Hey that's a pretty good idea. But can you guarantee me its safe? I worry things go bad zz

But can you guarantee me its safe?

Well , I've done it (with W7) with no problems. If you only change those services Windows doesn't load in Safe Mode the worst that could happen is it boots in Safe Mode. You could also try something like http://www.bluesprig.com/jetboost.html I use it and it works as advertised for me. Only down side is you can't just leave it on for hours. Some of the services and process' it pauses need to run every now and then.
If you're really not very familiar with Windows' inner workings you can always open the Task Manager and Google each process to see if you feel comfortable tweaking it.
Finally (until I remember something else) look here http://majorgeeks.com/geek_search.h...ORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Tweaker&sa.x=0&sa.y=0 Lots of interesting reading. I make a system image before a round of playing with new software , also. Saves time when I screw up.

Hmm what about the Intel Rapid Storage , do you think disabling that is ok ?

As i said , what i read was , its used for RAID , but i don't have any RAID. So i think its ok to disable it ?

Another thing , what's the difference between Startup and Service in " msconfig "

What i know is most Startup programs uses RAM Memory , for Service i not sure.

If disabling Service will it speed up PC boot up and performance when your using the PC ? Because im not sure do they run in the background like Startup programs does.

This is my services setup.
93726300604919073131.jpg

Trusted Installer is not listed but is stopped manual.
Another thing you can look at is advanced Tasks. I disabled all the bs there too.
97746348738142407314.jpg

57598630867132657912.jpg

15542852471548032468.jpg

54791277726694572919.jpg

Here's where I got my teeth wet:
http://www.blackviper.com/

Last edited:
Just a thought here, I have yet to actually see any benefit (aside from benchmarking) from working really hard to remove services/startup processes. Now I do stop most programs from running there little startup programs they install through msconfig but I leave things like steam, afterburner, CCC that I use. Back in the P4 AXP days on XP there may have been a noticeable gain from disabling everything but in this day of multicore processors, cheap mass amounts of RAM and SSD's I don't see the need.

What can I say. I don't need the whole kitchen sink. It's really not my fault windows is bloated beyond the average users comprehension.

Not really saying there's anything wrong with doing it just I don't feel it's worth the trouble anymore, I did use to do it on my socket A/939 rigs with XP.

Guys can i disable Intel RST ? ?

Actually i already disable it but is it safe to do so ? So far no problems though.

I don't do any RAID etc. But there is still few more service.

Intel Management and Security Application Local Management Service
Intel Management and Security Application User Notification Service
Intel Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service

Can i disable them too ??

Not really saying there's anything wrong with doing it just I don't feel it's worth the trouble anymore, I did use to do it on my socket A/939 rigs with XP.

This is interesting info, beause in XP days I was always critical about what was on and what wasn't running. SO it doesn't matter too much with Win7?? I ask because I'm just starting to load software onto my new rig in my sig file. I want to be sure. I appreciate this info a lot:D

like I said, in my opinion its not worth it any more. I did it back then to save memory and speed up boot times mostly. I haven't timed my current setups boot time but its pretty darn fast and even with a virtual machine eating up 2 GB of memory I have yet to need more than what I have ( and with RAM prices these days if I did use all of it i'd just buy more).

now for benchmarking where every last bit of performance is needed I run bare bones os's with only what is needed but I don't touch my 24/7 os anymore.

Back