• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distilled water pump damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks but it isn't about the money. In fact I have a bottle of Hydrx I purchased for this project. I purchased it based on the pump manufacturers recommendation. But if I can run with straight distilled water it makes swapping the coolant so green how can I pass that option up?

Plus it is supposed to cool better too? Double plus and if it leaked it wouldn't hurt my dogs and potentially does less damage to my system.

I was only referring to adding an algaecide, nothing more. As far as Hydrx goes, did you read the MSDS? Go with distilled water and a quarter, maintain your system as recommended above. You'll be better off in the long run.

http://www.swiftech.org/Installation_guides/SBRWWI-00000000000005193957-000001.pdf

It's Zerex anti-freeze. You'd be better off getting MotorMax.:D

I was only referring to adding an algaecide, nothing more. As far as Hydrx goes, did you read the MSDS? Go with distilled water and a quarter, maintain your system as recommended above. You'll be better off in the long run.

http://www.swiftech.org/Installation_guides/SBRWWI-00000000000005193957-000001.pdf

It's Zerex anti-freeze. You'd be better off getting MotorMax.:D

I agree totally! When the product came in and I read the label I started looking for an alternate solution. If it leaked and one of my dogs licked it I would be devastated. Looking for the vinegar to start cleaning the radiator and the quarter.

Honestly, I don't understand why BLEACH isn't utilyzed more in these things. A few % of bleach will kill anything, and keep your lines clear.

I guess with colored tubing it can play a factor, but it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Because it reacts with copper?

Bleach contains chlorine, a reactive gas (in it's natural state). It loves electro-positive metals and acts as a catalyst with them + oxygen causing very rapid oxidation, or metallic corrosion. Throw a penny in a swimming pool that utilizes chlorine as the primary water 'cleanser' and in only a day or two it will turn green. Try other metals as well. Throw in a pre-65 quarter or dime, an uncoated bolt or screw, then a coated one (zinc is common, kind of a silvery/shiney coating), maybe a gold wedding band or bracelet. You'll get the picture pretty quickly about which are corrosion prone vs. not.

Dettol disinfectant is an option for the short run... smells a bit thou :)
and you'll have to drain/flush your loop once you've got your silver

Copper Sulfate is a safe (safe from causing block problems) and effective biocide when used appropriately. I never got onto the whole silver bandwagon, I use biocide instead. There's no reason they can't be used together though.

Copper Sulfate is a safe (safe from causing block problems) and effective biocide when used appropriately. I never got onto the whole silver bandwagon, I use biocide instead. There's no reason they can't be used together though.

I've been using both for over a year now. No problem here.

Kill Coil for the win! I've never used a specific additive but I can't imagine it works any better. I did the 6 month drain, water looked perfectly clean with my lil kill coil.

Ok finally I have almost everything I need. I have some .999 wire on the way but I'm going to go ahead and put my system together. I thought about making a colloidal from my quarter that would be 90% silver and 10% copper but after much reading realized that would be worthless as it's dead metal suspended in the water. That said, many people seem to have bacteria growing right off the start. I'm assuming that's because the silver kill coil has not deposited enough silver before the bacteria takes shape. To avoid this I am doing the following.

Washing/rinsing my pump, radiator, blocks and hose with vinegar

Bring my distilled water to a boil with my 90% silver 10% copper quarter in the container. This should fill the water with ionized silver/copper solution and is what hospitals use now.

Rinse everything with the solution

Use the distilled water solution in my system.

Drop the quarter in my resevoir

It takes more to kill off a bacteria/algae infestation that it does to keep it from taking hold to begin with. Careful cleaning and assembly procedures go a long way. You're on the right track, but be careful with the vinegar and make sure you get it all out before the final fill. It's acidic.

It takes more to kill off a bacteria/algae infestation that it does to keep it from taking hold to begin with. Careful cleaning and assembly procedures go a long way. You're on the right track, but be careful with the vinegar and make sure you get it all out before the final fill. It's acidic.

It's been about a week and a half now and my water is still crystal clear and so is my tubing. I boiled the distilled water with my 90% silver 10% copper quarter in the container. Then I dropped it in the reservoir. I was going to change it out but I'd rather have the quarter in if it works as I can reuse it over and over.

Back