• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY fan controller simple safety features

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bucic

Registered
Hi!
I'm interested in adding some safety features to my controller which includes both PWM controller circuits as well as standard potentiometer control.

Fan starter circuit:
For a pot controlled fan I guess it's easy. You just connect a capacitor in parallel.
But may a basic 555 circuit be retrofitted with a capacitor on the PWM out to obtain a 'starter' feature? What would be the wiring and capacitance? Obviously it can't be calculated using resistance of the fan itself. I don't even know whether it's a correct approach so please excuse my ignorance.
Any alternative solutions for kickstarting a PWM fan?

Indicators:
Any other ideas apart from kickstarting the fans? What would be the wiring for a LED that would light up if a fan rotates BELOW certain RPM. As an electronoob I don't see any simple way to achieve this.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Motherboard:
My controller feeds RPM signal to motherboard of my PC. Using the selector switch I've fitted I can select which fan feeds the signal. I've just realized I can connect an extra RPM signal wire to the second fan header of my motherboard and use the 'fan halt' alarm feature found in the BIOS.

Last edited:
The inverters in PWM type fans already handle the startup. In fact, most seem to completely ignore what's on the PWM line until the fan is moving fast enough for the inverter to reliably sense the back EMF.

Back