• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DMA mode not available, only PIO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

A friend has a Toshiba L300 notebook. HDD - Toshiba MK1652GSX.
Just installed WIN XP with SP3. Using genuine Toshiba drivers.

I know this is quite popular - in the device manager IDE/ATAPI section there is an option something like "check if DMA is available and use it if so", but both HDD and ODD work through PIO protocol only, DMA not available to select.

I tried to uninstall primary/secondary channels and reboot - did not help.
Then i followed instructions to delete the registry entries according this site:

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Did not work, though funny it helped other people, as if my friend's laptop is more besieged by some unknown demonic force than a common one...

What to do?

A friend has a Toshiba L300 notebook. HDD - Toshiba MK1652GSX.
Just installed WIN XP with SP3. Using genuine Toshiba drivers.

I know this is quite popular - in the device manager IDE/ATAPI section there is an option something like "check if DMA is available and use it if so", but both HDD and ODD work through PIO protocol only, DMA not available to select.

I tried to uninstall primary/secondary channels and reboot - did not help.
Then i followed instructions to delete the registry entries according this site:

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Did not work, though funny it helped other people, as if my friend's laptop is more besieged by some unknown demonic force than a common one...

What to do?

You likely have a bad cable connection.

"Loose"? What do you mean by that? As if this "loose" is between "totally loose" and fixed in place... You really mean that cables might be mechanically not tighten enough?

No i was wrong from the begining - his HDD & ODD devices are sata. How can this be at all? How can sata devices use transfer protocol for IDE? WTF help me understsnd.. I thought that PIO and DMA protocols only work for IDE devices.

So what now? I mean the HDD and ODD are connected very tight..

No, AHCI or SATA only. The BIOS is so naked, that there almost is not anything..

Back