• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have to reformat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I just bought a new motherboard, cpu, and memory. When they get here, will I have to reformat my hard drive and reload everything? Here's the specs:

Now:

Athlon 1.33
Shuttle AK 31 rev 3 board
512 MB pc 2100 (2 256 MB sticks)

Soon:

XP 2100 Tbred B
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
512 MB Corsair XMS pc 3500 (one stick)

I'm running XP Pro. I have a friend who tells me that I'll almost certainly have to reformat. What would be different about the new hardware that would require a reformat?

You may not have to but it is best for preformance and the file system to be fresh when it comes to new setup's. Changeing a vcard or mem or cpu doesn't really need a new formated hd but when you change the mobo you should reformate anyway.

You could try to start up without formating but if the mobo chipset is different chances are you will have to reformat.

It may or may not work as mentioned but you should do it anyways. Backup your files and prepare to format because you spent good money and to not format is a waste and you won't get what you paid for not to mention you may run into problems especially if you installed the Via 4in1's.

Pookey said:
It may or may not work as mentioned but you should do it anyways. Backup your files and prepare to format because you spent good money and to not format is a waste and you won't get what you paid for not to mention you may run into problems especially if you installed the Via 4in1's.

I did install the Via 4 in 1's. Why couldn't I just uninstall them?

JUST REFORMAT

1 Back up all data.

2 Install everything

3 install os

4 start reloading data

5 if you do start overclocking.

from experience changing the motherboard will cause xp to hang on boot, you have to reinstall as XP assumes that you are trying to use the same install on two computers!

yeah, you should definately reformat. using old settings n software with a new mobo is like puttin on yesterdays underwear after getting outa the shower. Most people can't tell right away, but .....well, just reformat.

Everytime I install a new MB XP requires a fresh install... just BSODs on boot up... besides you really should like everyone else has said or you will have poor performance.

Oh and when XP installer asks to format do the full format not the quick one its well worth the wait...

coin said:
from experience changing the motherboard will cause xp to hang on boot, you have to reinstall as XP assumes that you are trying to use the same install on two computers!
Thats true BUT impossible. You have the OS installed on one HD how does that lead to having two computers using the same install? The license is OBVIOUSLY being used only once. I hate MS, if they were gonna inconveince us they couldnt have done a worse job.

The solution is to either repair the installation or format it. I formatted everytime but once, I suggest you format too.

Back