• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do I have too much TIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spirch

Registered
see the attachements

what do you think? too much TIM? (it was a kind of pea size)

2500k with Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Attachments

• P1030115.JPG
    P1030115.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 169
  • P1030116.JPG
    P1030116.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 165
That's a bit much. You could have gotten away with maybe half that. I find what you need on that size cpu is not really a pea. If it is, it's a very small pea. The other peas make fun of it.
More like an obese uncooked rice grain IMO.

see the attachements

what do you think? too much TIM? (it was a kind of pea size)

2500k with Noctua NH-U12P SE2

I think maybe a little bit much, but if your temps were fine then its all that matters.

cool pics.
what i see, is one side seems to crush down more than the other?
pic 1 top, pic 2 bottom,
looks like it pushed out more and mated more metal to metal, in places,
and right side some too.
and i have no idea of what you are dealing with in that combo, it is just what i observe from your picture there. and i guarentee it doesnt look worse than stuff i have done :)

or mabey its the squish method that can give it that look? a bit dryer there? Even with the squish method, i think it is helpfull to pre-oil (my word) both metals, by rubbing the junk into the metal, then removing 99% of it. a technique that AS5 wants. To "permiate the porosity" of the metals.

on the other hand, look at the edges, it did a very good first landing, the same ammount pushed out all around the edge.
its a Picasso, note the depth of the brush strokes and how the colors combine to give that surealistic mosaic and conceptually activates the feeling of higher tech.

i'd be out in the shop seeing how a vice grips and a hammer , might be able to get it to crush better, , , and end up with it 2 times worse :)
Then crank it down with a snap-on set till the back of the socket popped out :) I feex!

Last edited:
I will reinstall the back plate tomorrow or tonight

maybe there is a small angle somehow

I just got pics of what i removed on mine
9550goop1.jpg
9550goop2.jpg

here is the bestest lapped seating i have ever got, this has been on for years.
it is a normal Core2quad intel , both sides were lapped flat.

i dont know why the goop is around the edges, or why i did that back then ?? :)
if i could get a seating like that everytime, i would be exstatic. just doesnt happen.

this time the application method would be very thin spread on both items, see through thin.
If i remember right i used cooler masters thin silver stuff Only because it was lapped, and there would be less fill needed ever, and i wanted some runny stuff.
the junk around the edge is probably AS5, and not the same, i was probably trying a combo, thin center, thicker on the edge where corners can sometimes have reduced contact.

Last edited:
did about the same pea size(with TG1) and so far I don't see better temp :(

Nor should you. It's more a matter of anal retentiveness. Only way too much or way too little will actually make a noticeable difference. It's more a matter of keeping the TIM out of the socket and off the board and stuff. How well the cooler lines up with the CPU and the amount of pressure matter more. Your temps are fine regardless.

i think i will say it: there is a curing time on the TG-1

it's now about 24 hours after it got seated and now I see a huge difference(good one), about 3-4c on idle and 4-5c on load, compared to NT-H1

I wont play with the seat, for now

First pic has more then absolutely needed, but nowhere near enough to cause problems.

Back