• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Do I need dedicated sound card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matas55

Registered
Hello.

Year ago I bought Logitech Z-2300, just before they were out of market (I am so lucky). This is said to be one of the best 2.1 PC audio system.

PC specs:
GPU: ASUS GTX285
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte S-series: EP45C-DS3R (Uses Realtek High Definition Audio).
PSU: Chieftec ATX 700W
CASE: Nexus sient midi tower
HDD: Sea Barracuda 1TB SATA2
RAM: Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz
ODD: LG DVDRW 22x SATA

Logitech Z-2300 specs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-2300/4507-3179_7-30993080.html?tag=mncol;subnav

My friend has same speakers, but the subwoofer sounds better at his place. Maybe it's just positioning but that's not what matters. I don't know much in audio tech but I am thinking of buying a sound card. I don't know what to look for and which brand (asus or creative or else). Stereo only or overall high end sound card for best quality?

1. Would I overall benefit from dedicated soundcard vs onborad in gaming/music.movies with my 2.1 system?
2. Would the sound quality increase?
3. Would I get more FPS (no extra work for CPU)?
4. Would I need extra devices (amplifier,equalizer, receiver or whatever there is...)?
5. Whats the difference between gaming, music, home-theatre, pro soundcards?
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Gaming
http://us.creative.com/products/welcomenew.asp?category=1

PS:
1. This is the manual for Z-2300 http://www.logitech.com/assets/35688/setup-installation-guide.pdf

2. I rarely use headphones if not at all.

3. Left and Right speaker connects to Subwoofer; Wired remote connects to Subwoofer via D-sub and connects to PC via green audio cable; power cable connects to sub.

Onboard sound is leaps and bounds above what it was just a few years ago. These days, you really dont need a dedicated sound card unless youre running a decent pair of headphones or for some other purposes outside of the realm of onboard. The reason his sub may sound better is due to the room acoustics. Better room acoustics will enhance any audio system, all the way from the low end to the high end.

Onboard sound is leaps and bounds above what it was just a few years ago. These days, you really dont need a dedicated sound card unless youre running a decent pair of headphones or for some other purposes outside of the realm of onboard. The reason his sub may sound better is due to the room acoustics. Better room acoustics will enhance any audio system, all the way from the low end to the high end.

What Barton said. You can get some great sound quality out of onboard audio these days. Room acoustics and subwoofer positioning play a HUGE role in the reproduction of bass. Adding a sound card will not improve your bass issues from what you're describing. I would suspect you won't notice much of a difference if any at all.

I would suggest experimenting with different locations and direction of your subwoofer. Keep in mind that the bass you hear at the sub's location may be much different than that of your seating location. Try using the corners of your room, as you can get a boost in bass from the reinforcement of the walls. Also, the further from the wall you get, the cleaner the bass tends to be, until the waves become out of phase with your listening position, which will leave you with no bass at all. I would recommend not placing your sub too close to the wall, but maybe a few inches from it.

Thanks.

So the Realtek HD Audio I've got is just as good?

The problem with subwoofer positioning is that his bass sits under table with all the room for it there. Under my table there's barely space for subwoofer and legs so it sits next to side of the table. I guess the vibration bounces there and it sounds dirty. And the cable is not long enough for flexible positioning.

But what I am wondering is if soundcard would give better sound accuracy (footsteps, direction) on speakers?

But what I am wondering is if soundcard would give better sound accuracy (footsteps, direction) on speakers?

Generally no, if it's reproducing the signal then it's doing its job. Dedicated is primarily for music production and/or systems with poor onboard sound. Most people can get away with onboard nowadays. A lot of the sound card praise is really just hype. Side by side comparisons and blind tests yield no real improvements (I've done them myself!).

You might want to focus on the sub placement (splice and extend the wiring if you must) as previously explained. :thup:

Pinky; I must disagree.. Going from my Gene II Onboard Software X-fi to Asus Xonar ST was a huge step for me.. I use the speakers/headphones in my sig. (before I had the Creative Gigaworks T40; and even then the sound card made a big difference..)

Frankly the Z-2300 is good for two things.. Being loud; and being bass-heavy.. Otherwise I'm not a fan of it.. But it's all personal taste. I prefer my more conservative S330D's..

And yes I've heard them before.. As well as it's brother the Z-5500. Loud and bassy :p.

For your uses; I would say don't bother with a sound card.. For speakers only; it's generally not all that worth it (situation depending..). If you used headphones a lot and had a good set; then I would recommend a sound card with dedicated amp; but otherwise no. (Or just get a proper DAC on your desk.. )

Pinky; I must disagree.. Going from my Gene II Onboard Software X-fi to Asus Xonar ST was a huge step for me.. I use the speakers/headphones in my sig. (before I had the Creative Gigaworks T40; and even then the sound card made a big difference..)

Frankly the Z-2300 is good for two things.. Being loud; and being bass-heavy.. Otherwise I'm not a fan of it.. But it's all personal taste. I prefer my more conservative S330D's..

And yes I've heard them before.. As well as it's brother the Z-5500. Loud and bassy :p.

For your uses; I would say don't bother with a sound card.. For speakers only; it's generally not all that worth it (situation depending..). If you used headphones a lot and had a good set; then I would recommend a sound card with dedicated amp; but otherwise no. (Or just get a proper DAC on your desk.. )

What improvement? If you're trying to power large headphones with any standard audio output then yes, you'll want a Rolls or some other type of 'proper' amp for them. Otherwise, there's nothing any sound card does that makes the sound (actual frequency reproduction) any better, aside from possibly allowing for greater output amplification or onboard/chip features used in specific sound applications (like asio or surround capabilities/decoding). I simply got a Rolls headphone amp to run my larger Sennheisers... but it doesn't mean my sound card is uber sweet or junk. It forwards the audio signal just fine. Is that not the primary function of the sound device, to deliver the sound to our ears? :popcorn:

BTW, good reading here... be sure to read it all!

There's a lot of opinion posted, and nothing really resolves itself. The point is that the truth is only apparent to someone's ears.

** One more link that has a bit more 'fact' in it... **

Last edited:
Back