• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need more RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

HI everyone, it's me again. Decieded to stick with my current rig for now.

Anyways right now it shows 3.6gb available. How can I tell if I need more ram or its just a waste of money. I was thinking of picking up 8gb total 2x4gb. Will my mobo recognize it(2x4gbs sticks) b/c its few years old. Do I need to stick with 2gb sticks or can I jump up to two 4gb sticks. Screenshot was taking during normal use.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/k1nf.png/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Was going to grab this and sell the 2x2 gbs or should I keep them and have 12 gb total? 2x4 and 2x2.:confused:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313345

Also what should my paging file be on my SSD. Its at 3.6gbs now.

THanks again in advance everyone.

How can I tell if I need more ram or its just a waste of money.
Do RAM intensive tasks you normally do, is the RAM full or at its limit, more can't hurt.
Personally, I'd get 2x4Gb, 2*2GB + 2*4GB seems pretty odd and I guess you'd mix manufactures than? For stability I'd go 2x4. Do you think you will get much for your old sticks? Could save them as replacements.

Also what should my paging file be on my SSD. Its at 3.6gbs now.
Should be the size of your RAM, so it's okay.

Oh and please uploaded images via the paperclip under advanced options :thup:

But shouldn't you have something like 4XXXMB in your taskmanager with 2x2GB sticks :confused:

Forget that page file matching your ram jazz... That takes up WAY too much space on an SSD... Especially with 8-16gb. That said, where he is at is fine for now. Though when getting more ram, I would lower it to 2gb. I have had it set to 2gb since I had 4gb ram and an ssd actually.

But shouldn't you have something like 4XXXMB in your taskmanager with 2x2GB sticks :confused:

There looks to be 3.5Gb in task manager. Thinking the rest is reserved/used by the video card.

Would think that 8Gb and Win7 x64 is a no brainer. That team group is an excellent choice!

Will my mobo recognize a 4gb stick? Looked at my mobo supported ram and its only shows 1gb and 2 gb sticks. Also you would NOT recommended keeping my 2x2 and also adding 2x4 sticks totaling 12gb total using 12gb? Bad to use all four slots? Speed and timings are the same but will be different. brands

Thanks

ok but is there any reason I would not want to use all 4 slots? The speeds and timings are the same.

Subtimings may be different and can cause instability. You can try it, but what is the point as it can only really hurt things to be honest. At best, it works, but there will be no performance gains of any kind assuming you do not eclipse 8GB use.

Subtimings may be different and can cause instability. You can try it, but what is the point as it can only really hurt things to be honest. At best, it works, but there will be no performance gains of any kind assuming you do not eclipse 8GB use.

ok ill stick with the 2x4 then and get rid of the others, thanks

I want the 2x4 sticks in dual channel mode but ungaged correct?

Well, according to my knowledge usualy its best bet to use the number of sticks able to match the channel mode of the CPU but not more than that. In term there is 2 channel, 2 DIMMs are most stable and usualy recommended. When there is 4 channel, obviously we will need 4 DIMM to make use of the channels.

But the point for not using more DIMM than channels is to increase stability and capability of handling the timings. So, as long as "overchannel" RAM is not needed, i would recommend avoiding it. For my gamer system im using 2 DIMMs a 8 GB, so i get 16 GB with only 2 DIMM. But it may not work on any board (or CPU), only newer ones. There is no need for above 16 GB for the majority so, its always possible to be stick with only 2 DIMM (in term components are compatible).

Last edited:
You're good as long as the number of sticks is a multiple of the number of channels.

A tri channel board (Intel X58) is good with 3 or 6. A quad channel board (Intel X79) is good with 4 or 8. Dual channel (everything else) is good with 2 or 4 (technically 6 or 8 too but none exist with that many RAM slots).

Also, just an FYI, X58 could still run dual channel and X79 could still run tri and dual channel.

You're good as long as the number of sticks is a multiple of the number of channels.

A tri channel board (Intel X58) is good with 3 or 6. A quad channel board (Intel X79) is good with 4 or 8. Dual channel (everything else) is good with 2 or 4 (technically 6 or 8 too but none exist with that many RAM slots).

Also, just an FYI, X58 could still run dual channel and X79 could still run tri and dual channel.
Spot on!

Back