• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

* Do not buy: OCz Vertex 2 and Agility 2 - Beware!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what I find funny, is that many paid the same price as the 34nm drives for the newer 25nm drives. And has been stated that the price of 25nm nand is half the cost of 34nm. So where does this "more expensive" drive term come from, as any of the same capacity drives with 25nm nand should be substantially cheaper than what the 34nm were. Sure they have now lowered the price a bit, post fiasco, not much of a consolation.

I think my biggest issue with buying OCZ products is the fact that if you do indeed need help from their website, many of the moderators are total a-holes to everyone, there are a few that truly seem to want to help those in need. I think the mods there need to come join our benching team, as they seem more interested in system specs than doing their job and helping customers (potential or former). Seems many a question are asked and totally avoided or the response "please enter all system specs, so we know what we are dealing with", what does that have to do with almost all of the questions being asked?

I think I have a reason to look around much more before my next ssd purchase. Was really considering a purchase as the new models should start flowing shortly, and feel that just about every other Company deserves more of my thoughts over this fiasco.

Yea my suggestion is to refrain from buying them for the time being. Pricing should theoretically be cheaper due to the lower cost of the 25nm. Interesting how there might be a potential lawsuit though.

Last edited:
Two bad experiences with OCZ, I'm done with them. Staying away from SSDs until the Intel 3rd generation stuff comes out.

Well, I'm glad I purchased the G.Skill Phoenix instead of the vertex II this time around I guess! Thanks G.skill for being $5 less....LOL

what is funny from reading most of the threads that are available on this issue. I would bet a whole paycheck that if perfromance would have increased in the least noticable way, that there would have been a big fat press release and all new packaging making notes of such performance.

what is funny from reading most of the threads that are available on this issue. I would bet a whole paycheck that if perfromance would have increased in the least noticable way, that there would have been a big fat press release and all new packaging making notes of such performance.

QFT

It would have been Vertex3 and Agility3 for sure...

Plus a price increase.

Well, I'm glad I purchased the G.Skill Phoenix instead of the vertex II this time around I guess! Thanks G.skill for being $5 less....LOL

Damn! I was going to do that... but I got suckered in I guess? I love G.Skill, many great RAM kits that OC like a monster for next to nothing. OCZ has sold me 2 kits of sh** RAM and now this? Pathetic...

Thank God my Vertex 2 is a 34nm version. I think I should clarify the difference between the 24nm and 34nm versions though:

34nm versions have 16 memory IC's (16x4GB) and utilize all 16 channels on the SandForce controller.
24nm versions have 8 memory IC's (8x8GB) and utilize ony 8 channels on the SandForce controller.

Hence the lower performance. Apparently OCZ is offering a free swap to 24nm 16x4GB versions which according to an admin over there have better performance than the 34nm versions.

Last edited:
I assume there are only a hand full of companies that make the NAND chips... are there any other companies that are confirmed to be affected by this?

I assume there are only a hand full of companies that make the NAND chips... are there any other companies that are confirmed to be affected by this?

It's not the NAND chips themselves affecting performance. OCZ used 8x8GB NAND chips in the 24nm version instead of 16x4GB in the 34nm version. This means the SF controller only has 8x potential memory lanes instead of its max 16. However, OCZ is allowing people with affected drives to trade up to a 24nm 16x4Gb version for free.

Last edited:
Thanks Dooms and deeppow I was trying to piece together what little i knew about ssd and several treads I had read. Is there a link between the change in NAND chips and higher failure rates that some people are commenting about or is that "unrelated"?

Back