• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you push or pull with your fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you push or pull with your fans?

• Push

Votes: 53 25.1%
  • Pull

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Push + Pull

Votes: 106 50.2%
  • I make both sides face each other

Votes: 16 7.6%

• Total voters
I was just about to post a link to Martin's Lab. He has shown that if one or the other go with push. As far as shrouds he has data showing that they are almost worthless and then he has data showing they make a small effect. Just depends on the exact scenario: what radiator, what fans, and wether you are rocking push or pull. Now 2 degrees doesn't sound like a whole lot but when you start improving 2c here and 2c there and then 1c over there it starts stacking up. For example I have custom small fan over my VRM heatsink. When activated that will drop the CPU temp nearly 6c. Then supposedly the new Apogee HD that I just got cools 2c better than the previous design.

So read and review and do some tests. Just an FYI when you are not setting up a lab grade environment you need to increase your margin of error. Maybe a 10% or more margin. That is why I rely heavily on lab quality reviews by people like Martin. Another person did a 360 rad round up and that is how I came to decide I would hunt down a TFC X-Changer instead of buying a XSPC RX360.

Your gonna hate me but I just got a TFC X-Changer for like $30 a few weeks ago very well built rad but less FPI then I wanted.

Push + Pull saves me any guess work-- This almost universally specs better than any other option :attn:

So there was a question earlier about distance between the fan and the actual rad that, while probably overthinking, I would imagine can be answered by a quick note from Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook (8th ed.) In the section on air cooled heat exchangers, which is basically an industrial scale radiator there is a section comparing forced and induced draft (push and pull, respectively) - they have comments about the two but specifically related to distance between fans and the radiator are the following: "Fan mounting should provide a minimum of on-hal to three-fourths diameter between fan and groudn on a [push] and on-half diamter between tubes and fan on a [pull]."

There's also a ton of other information that, in theory, should be perfectly applicable to a normal radiator setup. Overall, I still am of the impression that the fan you buy will have far more impact than a theoretically sound setup as this book's applications are going to be for fans designed specifically for their use, not matching existing fans to existing rads.

The other interesting note is that a pull arrangement would result in more even air distribution across the entire exchanger and is supposedly superior for lower DT between air and liquid - although this also assumes that push-pull is never going to be fiscally sound on large-scale, which is yet another issue.

And this post is what happens when I peruse forums at work....oh my. Lol

Well I"m doing a push/pull w/my EX240. However my RX360 is only doing a push. Still getting amazing temps.

SP's are doing a good job w/cooling.

Currently using a corsair H110 and pushing with 2x 140mm fans and pulling with 2x 200mm fans in my HAF X case.

On Martins Lab fans in a pull configuration with 30 mm shrouds are deemed to be the best, but with being limited by your PC Cases. What ever you can realistically fit inside, be it push or pull or both.

On my own 360 mm Radiators the Fans are pulling, with 30 mm shrouds to optimize the air flow.

Back