• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Furmark really kill video cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That PSU has plenty of power for that card. Don't run Furmark was the message on this regurgitated thread and it still holds true over a year later. :)

That PSU has plenty of power for that card. Don't run Furmark was the message on this regurgitated thread and it still holds true over a year later. :)

Hmm, I connected the card to only one PCIe rail. Perhaps I should have used both rails (PCIe1 and PCIe2)? I thought they would be for dual gpu setup?

Depends on the PSU but many are not "true" multi rail in that there is no OCP on each rail to actually limit the load. You can try it though, sure!

Hmm, I connected the card to only one PCIe rail. Perhaps I should have used both rails (PCIe1 and PCIe2)? I thought they would be for dual gpu setup?

There is a power supply on the card, too, that converts 12V from the PSU to the multiple voltage rails the card needs internally.

That power supply is only rated to work at the default power target, and may be designed to shut down to protect the card if it senses the card is drawing too much power.

There's not much you can do about that, unless you are a good electrical engineer with a lot of time (but then it would be easier to work that time, and use the money earned to buy a faster card).

Ok I am sorry to bump this topic but it really relates to my issue, I was running Unengine Heaven (the non HWBot one, which was a folly...) to compare my 670s to the dual 760 Mars RoG card that's on the front page. ( I know now they're not the same benches, but alas)

The bench was running, suddenly the screen goes black, it recovers and Windows says the Nvidia driver has stopped responding but recovered...

I ran it again, naturally, and this time the core clocks were a LOT lower, before the driver crash they were 1280 MHz max, now they're ~100 MHz less on both cards.

The temperatures both times are WAY within safe boundaries, below the 70C throttle line too. Do nVidia cards throttle when you run other Benches than Furmark? Why wouldn't my cards boost back up to where they were on the first run? Verified it with MSI Afterburner both times, I was watching it while the benches ran, both times.

The temperatures both times are WAY within safe boundaries, below the 70C throttle line too. Do nVidia cards throttle when you run other Benches than Furmark? Why wouldn't my cards boost back up to where they were on the first run? Verified it with MSI Afterburner both times, I was watching it while the benches ran, both times.
Nope.

The clocks are off because of the driver recovery. It doesn't usually recover fully in my experience. Reboot, problem solved.

Ok I am sorry to bump this topic but it really relates to my issue, I was running Unengine Heaven (the non HWBot one, which was a folly...) to compare my 670s to the dual 760 Mars RoG card that's on the front page. ( I know now they're not the same benches, but alas)

The bench was running, suddenly the screen goes black, it recovers and Windows says the Nvidia driver has stopped responding but recovered...

I ran it again, naturally, and this time the core clocks were a LOT lower, before the driver crash they were 1280 MHz max, now they're ~100 MHz less on both cards.

Usually that means the card is unstable at the higher clocks. It's technically possible that a driver bug caused the crash, but unless you are doing something really unusual, that is highly unlikely with a production driver.

If the cards aren't overclocked, I would figure out which of the 2 cards is the culprit (by running one card at a time), and RMA it.

Nope.

The clocks are off because of the driver recovery. It doesn't usually recover fully in my experience. Reboot, problem solved.

Ohhh, alright.

Usually that means the card is unstable at the higher clocks.

Unstable? How? Neither were above the 132% max power range... or even close to it...

Bah. They're both overclocked, nothing is wrong with them. Team green, grrrrrr...

Unstable? How? Neither were above the 132% max power range... or even close to it...

Bah. They're both overclocked, nothing is wrong with them. Team green, grrrrrr...
It's just not stable at the overclock. They can't run reliably at the overclock with the given voltage. It may not have anything to do with power.

Just because it doesn't hit the power limit does not mean they will be stable. But yeah, this is, to me, an unstable overclock. Heaven is brutal on GPUs.

Hmm, I guess it's the silicon lottery just like with CPUs.

Bah, I guess most would be happy with my 1200-1220ish clock on these garbage reference blowers -_-

thanks tho

They aren't always just on or off, spend some time reading up on mosfet design.

I agree with bob -- unlike w/a mechanical switches, transistors always have leakage current I-GSS when V-DD is present, which is commonly in the pA range.

In my book, the throttling plan appears to be that the normal core speed is really the GPU maker's equivalent to "turbo core", like when AMD lowers core clocks with all cores loaded, IIRC.

It looks like maybe the GPU makers intend to make the higher core clocks for programs using less cores, only.

Apparently, on the GeForce GT 640, 900 Mhz is its "turbo core" and 329 Mhz is the base clock.

I score a 7.4 on it.

Still can't run high res + max details :p

Ungine heaven.
Furmark is wayyy overkill.

You know how I've figured out that Windows rating is broken? Overclocking doesn't budge it.

Furmark isn't an issue because it's overkill, it's an issue because it is a power virus.
It doesn't load the same as any other benchmark/game that I know of.

Back