• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Gigabyte EX58-UD3R support 4TB Hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gabi_golan

Hi everyone!
I was wondering is this motherboard is limited to 2tb drives, or it can handle 3-4 tb units?
The exact model is GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.0, the OS is x64 Windows 7 or x64 Ubuntu 14.04.
I couldn't find assuring answer on the internet, any info is much appreciated !

Last edited:
Thanks, I've seen that too, it's a utility to be used inside Windows, and they're talking about enabling 2TB+ partitions on 32bit OS'es. Does it mean that one can use 4TB drives on x64 OS? Can such HDD be a single partition on a hardware level and recognized as such by the MB and the x64 OS ?

I don't have such drives yet. If i had, I would have known.
My problem is that I was totally sure, for some reason, that there's a 2TB limit that is hardware related, even though I've always used x64 OS'es.

I still didn't find a clear answer to the question.
I'll ask differently: is there any reason this motherboard with this storage chipset (integrated in the south bridge: " South Bridge: Intel® ICH10R " ), the non-UEFI BIOS (Award Bios, features: " PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.4, ACPI 1.0b "), will not support 3-4 TB drives ?

Evilsizer, thanks, but the thing you've shown is for a different model than mine (it's for the newer X58A-UD3R, mine is EX58-UD3R). I've went over the BIOS updates for my model: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2989#bios and there were no BIOS updates that mentioned 3TB+ drives, that only exist for the Rev 2.0 of my MB, so maybe mine is not supported.
However, even if HDDs larger than 3TB are not supported, does it mean that 3TB drives are OK?

:confused:
not what you put in your first post?
gabi_golan said:
Hi everyone!
I was wondering is this motherboard is limited to 2tb drives, or it can handle 3-4 tb units?
The exact model is GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0, the OS is x64 Windows 7 or x64 Ubuntu 14.04.
I couldn't find assuring answer on the internet, any info is much appreciated !

Damn, that's a major mistake.
the right one is:
GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.0/1.1)

I got it right in the title, but mistaken right after it.

all you can do then is email/call them and ask. then see if they are got new bios otw.

Back