• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does having more memory improve performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cam_miles2003

Registered
I'm planning to buy a Corsair Triple Channel 24 gb memory kit for my Rampage 3 extreme.

The thing is I'm wondering whether having a 24gb memory kit is really a good idea in terms of PC performance as compared to getting either an 8gb, 12gb etc. memory kit.

How much of a performance difference is there really?

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Good or bad idea?

:shrug:

If you are not using all of what you have, then it will not be an improvement at all. If you are memory limited, then adding some will benefit.

More memory also makes it harder to OC. Just stick to what Earthdog said, only have as much RAM as you're going to use.

This PC will primarily be a gaming PC, its going to have an i7 950, a set of OZX SSDs, a rampage 3 extreme motherboard (for overclocking later on), an Asus Ares video card and a watercooling system.

So right now I'm asking myself what sort of memory kit would be good for this then? 8GB?

You want triple channel, so 6GB (3x2GB).

Why building on an EOL platform?

I'm a writer by profession so I've mainly stuck to laptops (I have 3 of them: 1 small one for traveling, one for home use, and another for watching videos and downloading - yeah overkill I know).

Well as you well know laptops aren't exactly the best when it comes to gaming so I thought of building a PC. I bought the Rampage 3 and the Ares 2 years ago and I was all set to start building my gaming PC but life came along and piled up a ton of work. Was never able to put together my gaming pc since I had to deal with a lot of work.

Its only recently that I've had enough time to actually start building my PC again.

Tried looking for a buyer for the Rampage 3 but alas, the fish aren't biting it seems.

So I may as well put together this PC now with cheap inexpensive parts, wait a year or two then upgrade to a newer system.

:rain:

Meh, I gotcha. Not much else you can do. That CPU is still quite a powerhouse...I have the same and I don't see myself upgrading for another year.

24GB won't help you in almost anything unless you are going to use it as a server/database.
R3E is weird board and not all memory will run fine in high capacity combinations.
X58 generally doesn't like 6 memory sticks and also some 8GB sticks so it can be risky to put money in something that can cause only problems.

I'm using i7 950@4GHz, R3E and 12GB RAM @1680 as my daily pc and I really see no difference if there is 6 or 12GB for everything that I do.

24GB won't help you in almost anything unless you are going to use it as a server/database.
R3E is weird board and not all memory will run fine in high capacity combinations.
X58 generally doesn't like 6 memory sticks and also some 8GB sticks so it can be risky to put money in something that can cause only problems.

I'm using i7 950@4GHz, R3E and 12GB RAM @1680 as my daily pc and I really see no difference if there is 6 or 12GB for everything that I do.

Oh? Could you give me a link to the type of memory you're using? (Amazon or Newegg) :D

Is it Corsair? or G skill?

Back