• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does HDD brand really matter anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
As the title says, does the brand of HDD really make a difference these days? I have been considering building a backup and media server lately, and I am at the point of looking at HDD's. I have been looking at the big 3 for Green drives, and the Samsung F4's seem to be the lowest priced in the 1.5 TB range, but I have been using Seagate for as long as I can remember. It seems that these days, they all seem to be about the same from a consumer standpoint. There are people that have nothing but problems with each brand, people that love each one, and people in the middle. I see this for WD, Seagate, and Samsung (leaving Hitachi out since they are WD now). I am not posting this to ask for opinions, because I know there will be someone posting up to say I should use each one. Instead, I am posting this because I feel that brand loyalty for HDDs is kind of a moot point now. Am I the only one thinking this way?

The only real issue I've seen in recent years was the Seagate 7200.11 failure. And the fact that Hitachi's typically work better in RAID (but every company has enterprise drives designed for RAID that work fine). Other then that, everything seems fine. It'll take another generation of drives for Seagate to get my trust back, but that's just me being paranoid.

If you aren't putting them in RAID, pretty much any drive will do. If you are, then you need to be careful.

Every brand has it's lemons: IBM-Hitachi Deathstars, Seagate 7200s, and recently for us, the WD green drives. I still buy Seagates; the constellation drives are solid for RAID builds. Still buy Wd, just not the greens, and use Hitachi for 3TB drives.

So in answer to the question, "Does HDD brand really matter anymore?", I'd say, no, but specific model lines do.

If you aren't putting them in RAID, pretty much any drive will do. If you are, then you need to be careful.
No RAID planned for this build. Basically the plan is one drive for automated backups, and the other will be full of media that I have built up over the years to be streamed to my PS3.
Every brand has it's lemons: IBM-Hitachi Deathstars, Seagate 7200s, and recently for us, the WD green drives. I still buy Seagates; the constellation drives are solid for RAID builds. Still buy Wd, just not the greens, and use Hitachi for 3TB drives.

So in answer to the question, "Does HDD brand really matter anymore?", I'd say, no, but specific model lines do.

I think that is the point I was really trying to get at. It seems there is no reason for fanboyism with storage anymore. I am pretty sure I even have an old Fujitsu drive sitting in the garage that still runs fine. Even with SSD, it seems that they are all about the same, as far as failure rates go. I am almost sure that the the percentage between all brands is pretty close to the same. More people just complain about one brand or another because there is a larger amount of people running those brands. If you see a larger amount of people using Seagate, you will see a larger amount of people talking about Seagate failures.

I have never had problems with any brand of drives, but I also made it a point to do some homework, so that I knew which models to avoid.:rock:

I don't think it is "fanboyism" as much as it "works for me". I know there are quite a few people here that completely swear off Seagate because of their issues a few years back and the "Deathstars" before that. If I've been using many drives from one vendor for years, I will be inclined to suggest them to others as well. If I have multiple drives from the same vendor fail more than they should, I'd be less inclined to suggest those to others.

It really comes down to what people read or experience with a drive.

WD green drive are good for cheap backup, but not truly for main drive (just hook up a USB adapter to your WD green and there is your cheapest backup drive ever). But almost any drive got its uses for a certain approach.

Last edited:
WD green drive are good for cheap backup, but not truly for main drive (just hook up a USB adapter to your WD green and there is your cheapest backup drive ever). But almost any drive got its uses for a certain approach.

My earlier reference to the greens stems from a 80% failure rate due to both bad sectors and electronic failures. This includes drives used both as backup and light-duty storage (not system) drives. We sold 20 greens this year and have seen 16 of them fail.

That seems a bit out of the ordinary. Either you are just unlucky or there is a factor you aren't seeing. If they had global failure rates like that, we would know about it. That is far worse than the Seagate issues a while back and you can see what that did.

That seems a bit out of the ordinary. Either you are just unlucky or there is a factor you aren't seeing. If they had global failure rates like that, we would know about it. That is far worse than the Seagate issues a while back and you can see what that did.

Agreed; our failure rates have been spectacular and unusual. The applications, environments, and time spread for purchase are wide and varied, however, so I can't think of a given factor or set of factors to explain it. Maybe the drives just don't work well south of 15 degrees N. latitude. :shrug:

Nonetheless, after eating ~$3200 with poor resale prospects for the RMAs, I'm unlikely to buy another green.

My earlier reference to the greens stems from a 80% failure rate due to both bad sectors and electronic failures. This includes drives used both as backup and light-duty storage (not system) drives. We sold 20 greens this year and have seen 16 of them fail.

I didnt say that they are any good tbh, i just say all you can need them for is as a backup maybe.

I had a WD Elements, and it caused massive data failures. Sometimes the drive worked proper and sometimes all my files was corrupted, i checked it using CRC32 and it was totaly unstable. Finally i had to throw the WD Elements (with some cheap noname WD green inside) away. I didnt want a replacement because i cant stand that trash and 1.5 GB was to less for me. Corrupted files, im allergic against, when i see i.. (well vomit).

Anyway, i have another 2 TB WD green, and that worked proper so far and i use it for backup in which it did a great job so far. Aswell any other WD drive usualy arnt bad at all, but the WD greens surely are mostly some questionable pieces, which are manufactured almost anywhere, usualy at the spot where it cost them nothing. However, for backup you only need a drive which is working without failure, performance isnt a matter at all.

I got a WD RE4 too, thats a great drive, very fast, the only bad thing is theyr price.

Ah yeah, i dont trust SMART datas, its just a tool which been created in order to give a customer a (sometimes wrong) proof how "reliable" a certain drive is, but SMART cant even detect half the failures. For my stuff it works best when i use a file integrity hash and then check the files manually, every time i did a transfer, and it will reveal as good as any failure, even those not detected by any SMART tool. Aswell when you use USB for the external drive be aware that there isnt any internal hash check. SATA is the most reliable interface for file transfer. You cant even detect a corruption on file size, a file can be corrupt even if it got same filesize such as the original, its a pretty complicated matter.

Last edited:
I think it is not so much what is good but what is not so good.

I go with WD and Seagate. I have had WD and seagate drives die. I think the main issue is to know what you are buying and not complaining about it if it does not preform to your expectations.

Thats mostly a roulette, believe me. Luck is your best friend in many terms. However, some drives are more likely to fail, but there isnt a single foolproof drive, a certain failure rate is unavoidable, sadly.

Hitachi > WD > Samsung is how I see it. Samsung's 7200.11 issue is enough for me to stay away, that was ugly.

For hardware raid, well that's Hitachi > Hitachi > Hitachi.

The WD RE4 or other raid specified WD plates should run nice aswell but they might cost more than a Hitachi (but may aswell last longer).

From my view:
WD is extremely splitting apart theyr drive series in term of performance, reliability and usage, so there is almost anything you find, just need to pay the right price and get the correct model. The best models are very pricy in usual such as the raid drives but they should get the job done.

Hitachi is not having such a excessive splitting, there is just a few series and they all just perform awesome, usualy as bigger as faster (higher density more platter), however, they tend to have some higher failure rate at times. They are all great with raid and overall performance.

Samsung They should own at the 1 GB range plates (aswell great for OS in term no SSD is used) and got a very impressive performance for less bucks, aswell high reliability. But there is not really any good bigger sized drives because the lower sized Spinpoint owns.

Seagate I think they are something between WD and Hitachi at theyr characteristics. Theyr Barracuda was once a legendary piece but nowadays many drives can match it and its not the fastest nor the most reliable but it might be faster than WD but slower than Hitachi, combined with a average reliability.

Think thats almost any manufacturer already, the other plates are usualy all gotten from those 4 main manufacturer and may have another name but its usualy always one of those 4 inside.

Last edited:
Hitachi > WD > Samsung is how I see it. Samsung's 7200.11 issue is enough for me to stay away, that was ugly.

For hardware raid, well that's Hitachi > Hitachi > Hitachi.

The 7200.11 was Seagate, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, the 7200.11 fiasco was Seagate. I was just smart about it. I never bought a 7200.11, but I do still have a couple of 7200.10's in service.;)

Also, I believe Hitachi's HDD manufacturing was recently acquired by Western Digital.

Well yeah.. lesser and lesser manufacturers, competition is dead soon, sad sad.

The largest Failure Rate drive I have Seen was the WD green drives, the Second is the WD black drives.

The scenario is I used abunch of greens and they fail consistently then switched to the Blacks and found the same.This is about 30 drives a month used with 2-5 Failures with either version. Failure time depends. The greens seem to die quicker 1-2 months where as the Blacks last a year or so then start trickling in.

With in this Mix I have used Seagates and Samsung and a few Hitachi's had seagates die and samsung but have never had a Hitachi come back.

Note: the samsungs where all IDE based drives,the other 2 brands where random sata drives is different sizes.

The Poster that said "Luck is your friend" nailed it.

Back