• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this seem like extreme way to check cpu/memory system stability?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

I have recently taken up the ddr3 and am3 route and purchased a new mb to go with my 720 while all the while eyeing a quad core whenever they substantially come down in price or a new revision is released that can doo really high memory clocks.

I decided to go my standard prime 95 blend route and ran it the past weekend about 10 consecutive times until I ended up getting a 3610mhz at 1.45v stable for 16 hours. Memory and NB-CPU were pretty maxxed out also (see sig.). I also ran about 50 passes linx max memory for a second opinion. Remembering all the times I had random freezes in my pass thru of fallout 3 a few months back, I figured I might as well get a 3 opinion before I called it a day and started gaming again. I ended up remembering a website that gave a overclock synopsis and the reviewer said he ran system for 12+ hours to stress the cpu and memory in prime (I assume blend was what he was using because he said both memory and cpu), plus ran a 2 hour torture test of prime + furmark.

Considering that to be the ultimate system test that would bring my system to knees and show any instability I gave it a try. 5 times it failed at 896k in prime after about 5-25 min, each time as I loosened timings it ran a little longer. I finally played around and upped chipset voltage a bit and It ran for about an hour and a half and errored out at 768k. I then tweaked timings a little bit more (each time I say tweaked timings It was making small steps to subtimings) and It finally ran for 2 hours and 2 min.

This definitely passed the 2 hour mark, but not by much. I have decided to go to pure multi overclocking raised cpu-nb to 2600 and reduced memory down to a standard 1333mhz and tightened back timings a bit (yielding end result of about 50 less on everest memory bandwidth score and a latency of about .4 ns more (less than about 1 percent loss). Question is....On something as stressful as this, how long is enough. should I have called it a day at the settings that errored out at 2 hours 2 min and just left it there, or should any error no matter the amount of time indication of a problem and best tweaked or overclocked reduced till no errors. I feel that maybe inherently running prime + furmark together is highly prone to fail no matter what, but I would like second opinion as to thoughts about this test method and when should I call it quits If I want a system that will never be problematic in gaming but am not going to run any FOH or SETI.

Note: Considering the settings that errored out the quickest in prime with furmark running were the ones that ran 16+ hours blend by itself, and the only thing I have changed is upping chipset voltage by .02 (to 1.26v) and loosened timings from 6-6-6-18-30 with trfc at 110ns to 6-6-6-20-33 trfc 180ns, this too should pass a long time run of prime by itself because it is reducing memory oc by loosening timings. I know this is not a memory thread but everyone who replied to a similar post of mine in the memory section seemed to be on intel platform and I want opinions of people using similar equipment.

Last edited:
well if motherboard heat hasn't overwhelmed you and you aint ever going to stress it as hard as prime or anything for 2 hours solid i would say its good to go :p
the only thing left to do is test it on games and stuff like that see if it results in crashes,also try to set the memory to the recommended timings from the spd tab in cpu-z,like for my ram to go to 960mhz i can use 7-6-6-19-25 even for 1066mhz too which is stock,but timings are crucial in performance and stability,check your ram voltage is set,check case airflow and change one value at a time if it becomes unstable,keep checking what makes it more stable and what makes it less,it took me a few days to tune 3.7ghz to run prime stable and play smoothly in games..so good luck :)

The settings I listed last and that are in my sig. actually ran about 4.5 hours before I decided to stop it and call it quits on this overclock testing. I still am somewhat disgusted that my memory is called 1600 mhz amd special but It wont run at 1600 (alot of folks at ocz forums are having problems too and the general answer is to run it at 1333 and raise nb cpu to compensate) but I would rather have stable and fast than semi stable and a little bit faster.

Also note this was 16 hours prime blend + (4.5 hr blend / furmark ) stable

It's really a matter of principle, but I would suppose that If they could do rated speed and timings stable, then they could probably do 1333 with slightly lower timings also than what I have them set to now. I have cpu nb maxxed out already, and right now I am at 9745 av. mem read and 44.5ns latency. I can boot into windows at 1600 7-7-7-24 1t and If I run the same benchmarks at those settings plus cpu nb at 2600 I get like 10100+ on the bandwidth and <44ns latency, this is superior in all aspects I would assume. My main gripe is that they are rated for a certain speed on the am3 platform and I bought these with confidence they would do what they advertised, I would really like to know what board they were tested on and got to those timings stable. I can say they work at 1.61v which is great but suprisingly are still warm.

Also have already asked ocz and the generic answer that they give is cpu nb at 2600 and 1333 is where it's at, of course they will say that it is a easy way out than admitting this product cant do what it is supposed to. It's like a 10000rpm hard drive that will only run 7200rpm and someone telling you to short stroke it to gain performance. I also bought the memory from a retailer that was not really the best regarded in customer service, and I dont think I can get my money back so Im stuck with it. Me and My AMD special, guess it's like the corsair gaming ram or the fatal1ty series, these both are mainstream at best but have a lot of hype behind them like something great.

Back