• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Vista have lots of viruses and other bad things.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, but not as much as XP.. Yet. Once it becomes the big OS that most people use there will be more viruses and such.

I get a load of virii, but none of them affect Vista since they're all made for XP.

Funny how the security of any OS gets WORSE over time.

Shell said:
I get a load of virii, but none of them affect Vista since they're all made for XP.

If you're getting loads of virus', then you need to examine your computing habits. Anybody can get the occasional stray I guess, but I've had 1 virus in the last 4 years. The main reason I got that one was because I still a noob and clicked on just about anything that presented itself :D

Vista's a good bit more secure than XP was, especially if you leave UAC on. Personally I've turned it off, but it seems to me that you'd be a good candidate for using it. UAC makes it more practical to run with a limited account(almost impossible in XP), but you still have to deal with the occasional permission popup. It's not as bad once you've gotten your computer setup the way you like.

Shell said:

Yeah...I haven't had one in over 3 years...I watch what I run, download and who uses my computer (that means only me :p). As long as you watch those three things, you should never have a problem...

johnz said:
Personally I've turned it (UAC) off, but it seems to me that you'd be a good candidate for using it.

LOL. That sounds like it would be a good insult around here :D

If you are getting loads of viruses, you are more to blame than the computer. The computer can only do what you tell it to, and if you just hit 'yes yes yes next next agree agree next next FINISH' to everything and dont look at what you are agreeing to or installing, YOU are installing the viruses yourself.

Oroka Sempai said:
LOL. That sounds like it would be a good insult around here :D

If you are getting loads of viruses, you are more to blame than the computer. The computer can only do what you tell it to, and if you just hit 'yes yes yes next next agree agree next next FINISH' to everything and dont look at what you are agreeing to or installing, YOU are installing the viruses yourself.

Or you can be unfortuniate enough to be stuck with AOHELL

I'll post in this thread to point out the obvious.

Vista comes without any Viri. The end-user is responsible for putting them there.

• Use common sense when browsing
  • Keep an Anti-Virus program and keep it updated
  • Use a spyware program and keep it updated; a free one will suffice

My friends wonder what my special tricks are and why I never have the problems with my machines. I use the above tips. It is that simple.

Back